Idea for quick switch bed: feedback requested

Ok, some delays on my side because, just life.

I’ve made an update on the base-plate of my contraption to reduce the weight. A bed sized piece of MDF weighs 1.3kg. Multiply that by two and it gets rather heavy. Nothing the SM2 won’t be able to handle, but it will increase the wear on the lead screws and might become an issue with faster movement of the bed.

A first idea was to get rid of the base plate completely and find a suitable spot to mount the magnets directly onto the bed. So I created this little thingy that fits in the corners of the carriage and helps to make sure the pot magnet is in a fixed location:

(Extra points if you know the exact location where it should go :wink: )

But that doesn’t level the bed and no decent way to cnc it flat as I wouldn’t know a good way to fix it in place. Except maybe gluing it place. And the difficulty of determining the exact location of the through hole as this was an experimental design and not just looking at the design file with exact sizes.

So then I figured I could just remove the excess material from the bed and cut away everything that’s not necessary:

So I set out to have that cut out.

Apparently the contour cuts I was using didn’t go great, and despite adding tabs to the file, one the parts that needed to be removed was ripped out, got stuck on the bit and ruined the rest of the work.
Luckily I found it only a few minutes after it happened. The spindle wasn’t turning anymore. The toolhead was still moving around, but without a turning spindle (Not sure why that happened).

After rebooting the machine, it did come back to life. I am under the impression it sounds a bit different, but don’t know. Did a 20 second just to try and it still seemed to do it’s job. so it might be ok. In this case I actually wish the bit just broke.

I’ll have to revisit the machining paths again and give it another go. Maybe I’ll just clear the entire pockets instead of using a contour. Will first need to do some testing to make sure the spindle is still ok.