How to process bigger models

Hi,

i trie to print a marbel track( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1385312) for my son, but i stuck on luban or alternative tools to build a working gcode.

luban even not process on mac, it is a known bug(stuck after 100% slicing).
I slice within cura the snapmaker accept the design but kind of calculating something after hitting the model to start. the snapmaker aborts after nearly one hour and 70% the firsttime, and after reboot(the snapmaker totaly hang up) the second try stucks on 77% after 1,5 hour.

kinds
Wolf

Hey @WPietsch, what quality settings did you use?
I could give you a gcode, if you want. (need your machine size and prefered quality setting)

Have you tried the latest luban from the forum?

I sliced with Luban 3.7.0 for WIN10 at high quality (150h print time) and stored the file to the thumb drive.
After insert to the sm2.0 A350 the file loaded immediately to print.- Also print starts immediately.
I am wondering, normally parsing the file takes a few seconds, but this file not.

If you want to print such a huge thing, you have to be sure your machine is well calibrated.
This marbletrack needs about 250g - 300g filament and a lot of time.

I would suggest to calibrate your flow (e-steps) and your k-factor (linear advance).

Let me know if i could help (I am no snapmaker staff!).
(There is a lot in the forum)

EDIT: i have tried similar gcode over wifi, same result as expected above, no problems at parsing the file.

Hi @xchrisd,
i scaled up the model to 155% to fit the marbel size, and added some parameter as supports(buildplate) to the high quality setting, as well as increased the speed. with a step hight by 0.08 anbd an infoll of 30% it does not work anymore.

I gave it a try with some limitation to the layer height and tried it with 0.16 for know what will work, but only without supports. i guess there is a limit between this some were. it now will take 158h of print and 930g of filament for the whole track. After 6h print it looks good and i raised the speed to 120% and after two more layers to 130%. We will se if this was a god idea ;).

The long processing time only happens with gcodes from cura. From luban this it barely noticeable.
(=> a firmware upgrade will hopefully fix this after another 150h print )
I also found out with nearly the same configuration cura, says the print will take twice as long as luban,

I investigated in the luban forum as well and it seam that there are some commands not supported, so i guess using a post-processing script would work to get rid of cura issues as well.

What also might be possible is to create a configuration file(print parameters) with cura and use it in luban(copy it to the correct folder might seam to work).

Here I attached a gcode file for you You can have a try this gcode file.

Oh, here is the file https://drive.google.com/file/d/15uAIOaqbp6VJyrokT_uFXXq8SFbdsBFb/view?usp=sharing

Thx Wayn,
as far as i can see this is with 0,2 Step height and 0,3 initial layer height.
I tried it with 0,08 Step hight in the first place scaled up to 155% model Size.

This comes out of cura with a size of 670MB and out of Luban with 340 MB or something (same parameter so for it can be configured).

The step height of 0,2 further shirnks the gcode to 120 as far as i can see, i guess it neither scaled to 155% so i guess there is the difference.

I opende this tread to evaluate the current limits and make suggestions to overcome this limits, by proper configurations, and/or updates for Luban and the snapmaker firmware, and to get rid of issues with bigger models, except the physical ones. => very long printing time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what is in the nature of 3DPrinting and big Models I guess. But features like different line heights for inner and outer layers would do best to overcome even this limitations (=> in the future).

1 Like

State so far with the mentioned parameters …
I also tested, filament runout and resume feature on this model, and kind of like it to change the filament in the print.

5 Likes

Very nice colours! :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like