Getting better prints with ChatGPT!

Hi all,

I was struggling getting good prints with ABS on the Artisan, so I decided to ask ChatGPT for tips.

After 2 round of test and adjustments, I went from a bad print to a quite good print.

Here’s the conversation.

3D printing with Boden tube and ABS, what is the recommended bed temperature?

The recommended bed temperature for 3D printing with a Boden tube and ABS filament can vary depending on the specific brand of filament and printer being used. However, as a general guideline, a bed temperature of around 80-100°C is often recommended for 3D printing with ABS filament.

It’s worth noting that some printers may require a higher bed temperature, and others may require a lower temperature. It’s important to consult the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific printer and filament to ensure that you’re using the optimal settings for your 3D printing project.

Additionally, it’s important to ensure that your printer’s build plate is properly calibrated and leveled before printing, as this can impact the quality of your 3D prints.

I tried brim build plate adhesion, and it did not stick to the bed at 90 °C. Any recommendation?

If you’re having trouble with your 3D prints not sticking to the build plate with a brim build plate adhesion method, there are a few things you can try to improve adhesion:

1. Increase the bed temperature: ABS filament generally requires a higher bed temperature than other filaments, such as PLA. Try increasing the bed temperature to 100-110°C and see if this improves adhesion.
  2. Adjust the nozzle height: Ensure that the nozzle is close enough to the bed so that the first layer is being properly squished onto the build plate. If the nozzle is too high, the filament won’t adhere properly to the build plate.
  3. Use a different build plate adhesion method: If increasing the bed temperature and adjusting the nozzle height doesn’t improve adhesion, try using a different build plate adhesion method, such as a raft or a different type of brim.
  4. Clean the build plate: Ensure that the build plate is clean and free of any debris, such as dust or grease. A dirty build plate can impact adhesion.
  5. Use a bed adhesive: If all else fails, you can try using a bed adhesive, such as a glue stick or hairspray, to help improve adhesion. Apply a thin layer of the adhesive to the build plate before starting your print.

Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific printer and filament, as these can vary depending on the brand and model.

I finally managed to print with ABS, but the final object has very bad layer to layer adhesion. I can easily break it, where if I do the same print with PLA, it’s much more solid. Any recommendation?

Poor layer adhesion in ABS prints can be caused by several factors, including improper printing temperature, cooling, and printing speed. Here are a few things you can try to improve the layer adhesion in your ABS prints:

1. Increase the printing temperature: ABS requires a higher printing temperature than PLA. Try increasing the printing temperature by 5-10 degrees Celsius and see if this improves layer adhesion.
  2. Use an enclosure: ABS is sensitive to temperature changes and can warp if the temperature fluctuates too much during printing. Using an enclosure can help maintain a more consistent temperature, which can improve layer adhesion.
  3. Decrease cooling: ABS does not require as much cooling as PLA during printing, as cooling can cause warping and poor layer adhesion. Try decreasing the cooling settings in your slicer software or turning off the cooling fan altogether.
  4. Slow down printing speed: Printing too fast can also cause poor layer adhesion in ABS prints. Try reducing the printing speed in your slicer software to see if this improves layer adhesion.
  5. Increase the infill density: Increasing the infill density can help improve layer adhesion in your ABS prints by providing more support between the layers.
  6. Use a different brand of filament: Different brands of filament can have varying properties and may perform differently in your printer. Try using a different brand of ABS filament to see if this improves layer adhesion.

Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific printer and filament, as these can vary depending on the brand and model.

1 Like

I would add… you need the bed levelling to be perfect and the Z offset very low.

This is nothing where you would need an AI for.
Just basic printing knowledge you’ll find in 1 million videos/blogs, whatever across the internet.

And the news is that you do not have to search millions of bogs and Videos with different statements. THIS is what AI ist made for.
I am interested in when AI answers are shown next to “classic” Google hits.

1 Like