Best ABS setting

Hi all, I’ve tried to print ABS on the Snapmaker 2.0 without success :frowning:
I used this setting:

• Nozzle temp 260° C
  • Bed temp 100° C
    I’ve also set the nozzle higher in comparison with what I use with PLA.

I came to this config after some tests where the ABS wouldn’t stick to the bed, but also like this I’m still unable to print and now the ABS is even so attached to the bed that I can’t clean it.

Do someone have some specific config to recommend printing ABS?

thanks guys

I use maple syrup and hairspray. Clean the print bed with alcohol. Spray a coat of hair spray, let dry. Pour about and ounce or two of maple syrup on print bed. Spread evenly with foam paint brush. Let dry, a fan will speed this up. I print ABS with just a skirt. Nozzle temp 240, bed 100. Works with either glass bed or standard issue print bed.

I had to double check that this wasn’t posted on April 1st.

First time I’ve heard of using maple syrup.
I assume you could just use corn syrup since there probably isn’t any maple in that stuff.
Although this probably smells great when the bed starts to heat up. (although with ABS you shouldn’t be smelling the fumes)

-S

1 Like

I got the idea from a tip on youtube. Some guy was mixing water and sugar to stick ABS to the bed. I also slowed the extrusion down to 90% to get the ABS to heat up more as it passes through the nozzle. There’s no smell but I vent to the outside so your right. I also use a ceramic heater vented into the top to keep the inside temp around 90 to 100.

1 Like

I found for ASA (similar to ABS) that these settings worked for me.

-253C printing temp
-255C initial layer temp
-45 mm/s work speed
-Fan speed 25% (I have the original print head and installed the external fan mod; ymmv)
-initial fan speed 0%
-80C bed temp
-90C initial bed temp first 5 layers

I put down glue stick on the SM bed to get good adhesion and I almost always got a decent first layer.

I also installed an all metal heat break as I was worried about degradation of the PTFE lining in the OEM SM heatbreak.