Garbage quality with support contact, fine almost everywhere else

@Scott375 Looks like the top layer of the support is too far away from the part and not dense enough.
Use support interface and lower support z distance…
Use appropriate pattern for the bottom layer of the part (the layer that is on top of the support).

1 Like

I turned on Support Interface and set the Support Preference to 0 Gap, which on its own took all of the Support Z Distance values down to zero. That DID help a little (see below) but didn’t totally take away the garbled printing.

My Support Interface Density was set to 32% and my Support Roof Line Distance was set to 1.25mm. Am I understanding this setting correctly by thinking that it has been trying to print my model 1.25mm above the support filament? That certainly seems like a problem.

I’ve apparently messed with the Support Interface Density since that line had the ‘Refresh’ icon so I refreshed the value and it went up to 70%. It also lowered my Support Roof Line Distance down to .571 so I’ll leave that and see what happens.

I’m using Zig Zag as the pattern on the model that contacts the support material - would something else be better?

The support roof line distance will be set automatically if you set the interface density to 100%.

You can also slow down the top/bottom printing speed. increasing the printing temperature might also help.

Dont use zigzag. Lines are better in this case. Increasing infill overlap percentage could possibly be a good idea too.

But most important is to understand why it is not looking great. Then you can use various settings to try to improve the result. Just experimenting with more or less random settings without a plan is generally not a good approach…

Your problem is 100% related to adhesion between support and bottom of part, so think about how speed, temperature, cooling, directon changes, density of and z distance to the layer bellow migh affect the bottom of part.

1 Like

Thanks Rwide, my problem has been solved.

The reason for the garbage printing was because the printing was being told to print more than a mm above the surface of the support filament layer. Like squeezing icing on a cake from several inches up, the material was allowed to somewhat choose it’s own path for laying down which caused the issue.

In case someone else has this same issue, here are the settings I had to tweak to get to where the model looks good and cleanly separates from the breakaway support filament.

Left nozzle prints regular PLA (Overture Matte Black)
Right nozzle prints SnapMaker breakaway white PLA

Right extruder:
Support Preference: 0 Gap
Support Z distance: 0
Support Top Distance: 0
Support Bottom Distance: 0

Enabled Support Interface: Yes/set slider to On

Here’s the big two that I played with to eventually end up calling this solved:
Support Interface Density: 60%
Support Roof Line Distance: .4

Thanks again to everyone who helped out on this maddening issue!

2 Likes

Thats great! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to clarify. The support roof line distance does not determine the vertical distance between top of support and bottom of part. The setting for that is the support z distance/support top distance.