Full Lightburn Control Guide

While I have a github, I’ve never forked another project before. I’ll see if I can this weekend though.

I don’t think so yet, it’s not in the public repo last I checked.

Hello,

I don’t want to be a pain… but could you compile your patch on the latest .17 FW please? Looks like it is kind of stable based on the comments?

Thanks

Here’s a compile of the latest + changes. Only one test was done, however. I manually flashed .17, followed by mine and ran a test, which was successful.

Snapmaker_V4.5.30-SKREE_20230223.bin_20230223.zip (162.2 KB)

EDIT: The test was to ensure inline was working properly with the guide. Grayscale and S0 work as intended, along with accurate homing.

1 Like

A bit off-topic:
I have put up a suggestion to support thumbnail output by Lightburn.
But it may need some more votes to get heard:

It’s pretty easy if you have an account, just click the Fork button and a fork is made to your account. From there, try to clone it and copy the URL.

:person_shrugging: Hopefully I did it correctly. I’ve had a github account forever, but never actually used it.

Yep, I see it! Thanks, will merge into my fork.

Skreelink, I’ve tried following your guide to get LB to work with my A350 and nothing works. Even though it says laser ready. It does nothing, even when I try the move tab to move the tool head or bed nothing happens. If I change it from GRBL-M3 to snapmaker it says laser ready but in the console screen its just says waiting to connect. Under GRBL it just gives me a buch of giberish ?M across the screen

Hi RoboCop
Maybe this Connection Issues - LightBurn Software Documentation will help you.

Make sure the baud rate is set to 115,200.
This happened to me, drove me nuts for a while.

It was set to that, and everything was as it should be according to the guides. Anyway I somehow managed to get it to work, I went into device clicked on the grbl and edit, selected Snapmaker and checked all the settings an then tested it out and it worked. But it was something that wasn’t a part of any of the guides I was reading.

Now I have to figure out how to adjust the laser height in small increments when I get close to the wood cause lightburn goes to fast

In the MOVE panel you can set the Jog and Z speed.
I use the touchscreen for setting my origin.

@Skreelink - amazing guide, I’m going through it now.
Have you thought of updating the first post with firmware versions that you compiled since the start of the thread, and other findings?

I really wish I could, along with update my other guides, but the option to edit them is gone after a couple of days for me. I may end up having to do update threads instead, but I feel like that makes it a bit clunky.
I also wish I could tinker with and make guides for the Artisan, but that’s not viable for me, costs a bit too much.

1 Like

Same here about artisan, have a few cool ideas for it, but the price is a bit out of the budget.
Gotta have that sweet exposure to get a review unit or something :slight_smile:

I wonder if @Alan @Sharon666 @Riskey @parachvte or @Jade can help with giving you edit rights for your topics so you can keep the info updated. It’s a lot of value in it.

I get this message (Waiting for connection)
I can cut things out but not engrave anything. The laser doesn’t turn off between blank spaces. So he simply lasers through.
I don’t get any values in the machine settings either.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for helpful tips.
Everything else is fine.
In Lightburn it is connected via the GRBL-M3. But it also has the Snapmaker, so I have to connect it to make it work

Screenshot 2023-03-12 142326

Did you load the custom firmware? For version 1.15.17 use the one linked here:

Untested on any version higher than .17. If you do not have the dual extruder, I suggest staying on 1.14.3 and using the firmware in the first post.

1 Like

I have a weird thing going on, my 10w laser doesn’t go down to material thickness, unless I type in the g-code for the test square manually from luban console.
I went through the thread and made sure to check the absolute coordinates and other related settings are correct.
Don’t have the usb cable to connect to the machine, so I used the drag and drop method (can’t have empty spaces in the path to the script/file tho).

Went through:

Running firmware:
My test g-code from LightBurn
; LightBurn 1.3.01
; GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier) device profile, absolute coords
; Bounds: X0 Y0 to X8.89 Y10

;USER START SCRIPT
M106 P0 S255 ; This line is spit out by Luban and Snapmaker settings in Lightburn, so I include it.
G28 ; Safety home, incase you forgot after power on.
G53 ; Changes to Machine Coords.
G0 Z30.6 F6000 ; IMPORTANT, the Z value here is your LASER HEIGHT on the touchscreen.
G54 ; Changes back to Work Coords
G92 Z0 ; This sets Z Work Origin to 0, making your laser height as 0.
G0 Z300 ; Moves the toolhead back up out of the way.
G53 ; Back to machine coords!
G0 X0 Y0 F6000 ; IMPORTANT, this is the offset you found following my laser guide!
G54 ; Oops, we're back in work coords.
G92 X0 Y0 ; Yep, we gotta set 0,0 on X,Y as well!
M3 S0 ; This is a safety line, it brings the laser online at 0 power, basically a ready state.
;USER START SCRIPT

G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
G90
; Cut @ 6000 mm/min, 75% power
M8
M5
G0 X0Y0
G0 Z3
; Layer InnerLine
M3
G1 Y10S191.3F6000
G1 X8.889
G1 Y0
G1 X0
M5
M9
G1 S0
G90
; return to user-defined finish pos
G0 X0 Y350

;USER END SCRIPT
M5 ; Safety line, ensures the laser is offline and actually off.
G0 Z330 F6000 ; Custom line to rapid toss the toolhead up out of the way.
G0 Y350 ; Custom line to rapid the bed forward.
G28 ; Safety home, I've noticed sometimes my machine is offset if I don't home every now and then.
;USER END SCRIPT
M2
My Lightburn Settings

It looks like machine goes to aprox. double the Z30.6 and is trying to engrave.
Same things happens if I send using Luban, send using Drag’n’Drop method with batch script, if I upload via USB drive.
Unless I type every line of g-code above - then it works like it should.
Any idea what I might be missing besides being on latest firmware? They did a bit of bug fixing related to 10w laser there.

UPD - SOLUTION => Full Lightburn Control Guide - #161 by Skreelink

Odd indeed, I wonder if you need to set the focus height on the controller itself first. Try turning the machine off, then back on. Go to the control screen, and after homing, see what the two coords are. The difference in work/machine should be your laser focus.

334 - 304 = 30 for mine.

You can also just move it down via the controls to work 0 and see what machine coords it has as zero.

Should be your focal height. If it isn’t, jog the machine until the machine coords are equal to your focal height (30.6 from your example code), then on the set work origin tab, set your Z origin there.

I’ll try updating my machine to *.20 and then flashing my *.17 build ontop of it and see if that’s the cause.

EDIT: I downloaded 1.15.20 onto USB, loaded it, then followed it with my latest built on 1.15.17 and everything is acting as normal on my end, so the firmware isn’t the cause.

EDIT2: Worth noting, I use the drag/drop method to run the tests. (I pretty much exclusively use it now so I don’t have to deal with Luban’s stupidity)

1 Like

I downgraded to 1.15.17 after I posted to rule out the firmware, got same results and then you posted. So it is not the firmware indeed.

My screen looks like this after I turned on the machine and homed it.

334 - 211.6 = 122.4, a bit more then the focal distance.
Why would G-Code header not set the correct distance…

I also noticed that if a go through laser calibration, my laser height on control screen - 30.6, but if I power cycle the machine, it goes back to 30mm. I guess it doesn’t matter for the issue it hand.