Full Lightburn Control Guide

I ran yours and actually had the same problem, really befuddling me.

…then omfg. Apparently something in the recent changes does something, I don’t know what, with how it reads comments. All I did was remove the space before, and everything after and including the ; in your header and footer, and it ran correctly. Reverted the change to have the comments back in; it began running high again. Snapmaker; the hell?

So yeah in your lightburn config, try using this header (added a G90 for safety after the homing):

M106 P0 S255
G28
G90
G53
G0 Z30.6 F6000
G54
G92 Z0
G0 Z300
G53
G0 X0 Y0 F6000
G54
G92 X0 Y0
M3 S0

and footer;

M5
G0 Z330 F6000
G0 Y350
G28

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE, REMOVE MY NOTES FROM YOUR HEADER. :confused:

2 Likes

THank you @Skreelink !!! That is just crazy. I wouldn’t think about freaking comments being an issue.
They really need to level up their quality control before sipping the firmware.

@Snapmaker-Support - potential bug in processing commented G-Code here -

Yeeeah… I’ll reiterate here; unless you have a dual extruder, if you plan to use this guide STAY ON 1.14.3

2 Likes

Updated to the latest to be flashed on 1.15.21. Noted my origin seems to have gone back to where it was originally. :thinking: So recalibrate your origin if you update.

Firmware can be found on my github.

2 Likes

Hi, first of all i would like to thank all of you, especially to Skreelink for all the help to try to connect SM to LB, but i face some issues and i cannot connect my SM to the LB.
I made one video. if you have time and any suggestion what am i doing wrong i would be very gratfull.
Thank you in advance

Make sure you have the driver installed, since you appear to be using windows, it can be found here:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/snapmaker.com/download/CH34X_Driver_V3.4_Windows.zip

Also, try several USB cables if available, although the one supplied with the snapmaker should suffice.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your respond. i did try this driver already several times. i updated all drivers with no result. i mean it says that “the drive is successfully pre-installed in advance”. and thats it. when i try to uninstall it says “no device is found”. I have windows 10 pro N x64. I tried with 3 different cables and all usb ports. I will try with my laptop. wish me luck :slight_smile: . thanks again for your help

Make sure your serial port is configured for 115200, 8, N , 1 in device manager and also in Lightburn settings.
Use the mini-usb connection on the controller.

1 Like

Thanks for this guide and thanks for crossposting it over on the LightBurn forum for us to reference! Very glad to see Snapmaker users running LightBurn on their machines!

If anyone wants direct LightBurn support - feel free to email Support@LightBurnSoftware.com or head to our forum: https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/

2 Likes

Hey there and welcome! It’s a great piece of software and I’m glad I can help get users reaching for max potential with it paired with the hardware.

1 Like

Hi all,
Thank you @VaporPhoxxe and @Skreelink for all your help and suggestion.
With the mini USB port at the first connection went smooth. Thank you again.
Also, when i run my first engraving half of the job it suddenly stopped and the console says: " echo:Unknown command: “M9” ". The laser tab is set for Absolute coords as @Skreelink suggested to @Savak on december.
I attach the exported GCode file(I had to zip it because if the size limit ). maybe you guys have an idea what`s wrong.
Thank you in advance.
unknown command.zip (388.9 KB)

1 Like

I can tell you the M9 is not the cause of the random stopping. It’s just to tell the machine no air assist, unknown commands are always just ignored and bypassed anyway. Also there’s only two instances of M9, one right at the start, and one right at the end. So if you got any engraving, then it’s not the cause.

Did you happenchance to accidentally move, jostle, or bump the cable? Are you using windows? If so, power savings might be turning the USB port off.

Here’s how to disable that feature.

2 Likes

Hi @Skreelink !
Yes i use windows. It seams that the USB power savings was the issue. i set it as you suggested and now already went trough that point where did stopped earlier. To be honest I dont know how to thank you @Skreelink & @VaporPhoxxe and all of you guys who helped me and other Snapmaker users to connect and run the machine trough Lightburn. But I hope @Snapmaker-Support gonna reward you @Skreelink somehow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome that the solution was an easy one. :slight_smile: I hope it helps you make awesome stuff.

1 Like

@Skreelink What a great thread, it’s well appreciated.
I’ve been using Lightburn for about a year now with my 1.6W module. Now that my 10W is planned to arrive tomorrow I was planning on doing your update.
A quick couple of questions for you, or for anyone else that might know the answer as this was obviously compiled for the 350, but I will be installing this on my 250.

1. Has anyone installed the firmware on a 250 using the latest build, were there any issues?
  2. Is there anything I should be changing in the header and footer commands? I believe the movement commands all fall within 250 ranges with my non-professional eye, but would be great if you could comment. (Specs for the 250 - Snapmaker 2.0 – Specs)

The firmware is universal between the 2.0 machines. It determines which machine you have at boot by reading the length from the linear modules. So you’re fine putting it on an A250.

As far as header/footer goes, reduce the Z and Y movements by 100. I.e. return height for Z to 230, and Y at 250.

1 Like

So my comments after doing this guide for my A250:

1. I installed the update for the Snapmaker controller from the controller itself, then installed the 10w module for the first time and turned the machine on, no issues.
  2. I then went to install Skreelink’s firmware from USB. so Power off, insert USB, power on. Since I did not complete the 3 calibration steps to configure the 10w laser module the first time it made me do that before I could update the firmware
  3. I also removed the .bin.bin naming convention from the filename while I waited for the machine to finish camera calibration.
  4. Created the new machine profile in Lightburn which was relatively straight forward. Note to others, if you have 2 machine profiles in light burn and am wondering why your “material height” isn’t showing. Check that you have the right machine profile selected in the drop down.
  5. I updated the start G-code to be as follows:
M106 P0 S255
G28
G90
G53
G0 Z30.6 F6000
G54
G92 Z0
G0 Z200
G53
G0 X0 Y0 F6000
G54
G92 X0 Y0
M3 S0

and end code:

M5
G0 Z230 F6000
G0 Y250
G28

Otherwise relatively straightforward install. Now I need to figure out from scratch again all my laser profiles!!!

One thing I haven’t figured out is how to turn on the laser on low power while I do a boundary check of the print like I used to do with my Marlin set-up.

Edit: Something peculier that I noted when doing the Laser Material API call was that I got a negative number:

{"status":true,"thickness":-62.901092529296875}

I knew the material was approximately 2.9mm thick. So I ignored the -60 in front of it. I also did the check Skreelink recommended in Luban which appeared to have it at the correct height. Not sure what’s going on here.

This is usually caused by an error in the triangulation that somehow slips by. Usually it’ll just say error, but sometimes it freaks out and I guess catches a reflection, usually when scanning a glossy surface. I saw this when I was coming up with an auto bed scanner and it just so happened to land on the screws of the laser platform and I got like, -80mm.

As far as the laser on during framing, make sure these two options are enabled. Set the power under the Move tab.
Screenshot 2023-04-24 185144

1 Like

First, can I just thank you @Skreelink for making Lightburn easier to understand. I’m a newbie to laser engraving. I had the Snapmaker Original, but never got round to using the laser on it. Shameful, I know. I’ve upgraded to the Artisan, and I’ve followed all of your steps to dial in the machine. Aside from the dimensions, most things seem the same. I’m almost there…

I’m trying to hone in the Z height and I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I was hoping someone might be able to assist. I’ve entered all the codes I assumed I need and the machine follows through with everything, until it comes to the Z axis dropping right before the laser switches on and starts engraving. No idea why it won’t drop to the specified Z height in the code (Z13)

The outlines on the left and right are what the Lightburn drops to with the above codes.
The outline in the middle was manually set. It’s much crisper.

Thank you in advance.

While it’s hard to tell really without seeing your cuts/layers tab or the gcode, keep in mind the header is for setting focus, not material height. The header Z (which you have as Z13) should match your laser height, which is 30mm on the 2.0. I would assume it’s the same since the 10W module should be the same between the two machines. However if the Artisan shows the laser height on the touchscreen, use what it shows.

For actual material height, use the material box on the cut/layers tab.