Found image of dual extruder module on imakr

There a number of systems that allow using multiple filaments. One is a toolchanger setup that is used in this video: https://youtu.be/K7LDY7EJKFU?t=29

There are heads with 3 or 4 extruders, looks somewhat similar to the approach snapmaker is using: Something3D Quadruple Extruder 3D Printer - Printing Industry

THen there are hotends with multiple inputs and one “output” like this one: 1.75/0.4mm Hotend 3d V6 Heatsink 3 In 1 Out Multi Nozzle Extruder 3d Printer Triple Extruder - Buy Hotend V6,V6 Hotend,3d Printer Triple Extruder Product on Alibaba.com

The disadvantage of the second option (and thus the snapmaker solution) in my opinion is, what if you change the nozzles, will you be able to easily align them so they are at the exact same height? i.e. are they fixed to eachother or do they actually retract a little bit? There seems to be a (higher) risk of the second nozzle hitting the print at some point and causing damager. Will the second hotend be hot all the time? will it thus be leaking material all over the place?

To be clear: I haven’t used any of these possible solutions, but I think it isn’t an easy challenge to create a good solution. No matter what approach you choose.

1 Like

how about independent dual extruders that share the same rail? Seen it on another printer and it’s amazing. Print dual nozzle prints, or print two identical objects at the same time. Brilliant.

That would be interesting, though I do not see that being implemented with the snapmaker as the rail system is not conducive to multiple independently moving extruders. I would also expect that this would reduce total usable print area more than the currently planned implementation.

It would probably require a double rail module for the x-axis, redesign the orientation of how the printhead mounts to the rail, it would have to mount with the bracket on top of the print head, have the filament feed from the side instead of the top which would then require a redesign of the extruder gear motor. The cost to implement would entirely defeat the purpose.

This has a similar rail system to the SM. Really the only change it would need, is the tool head linear module would need to be longer, so that if you’re using them independently, one can get completely out of the way, the way that this one is designed. Otherwise, with the current size of the printer toolhead, it would reduce build size by the width of the head on either side.

It wouldn’t be very beneficial to the 150, but I have the 350, which is huge. Could easily print 2 decent sized objects simultaneously.

Isn’t that… Belt driven? The SM modules are lead screw

2 Likes

That’s not similar at all. That’s a belt drive, SM is screw drive. Screw drive gets higher detailed prints

1 Like

I fail to see your point. You act like just because the one in the picture is belt driven, that it’s completely impossible to attach 2 3D printer heads to an extended X linear module.

The point is that it’s easier to adapt that to a belt drive because the actual drive is happening externally where space isn’t so limited. On a lead screw drive the drive mechanics are happening inside the rail itself meaning limited option for adapting multi module systems with a single rail, hence why I said that 2 rails would most likely be needed with one specifically designed rail needing to be larger than the other rail that the head is on. The other option is to do an additional design for a specialized x-axis rail, which means taking away part of the Snapmaker’s modularity going against the intent of its design.

Fair response. Thank you. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I would say that it goes against it’s design. I feel the whole point is that they are making numerous parts and tools for this one machine, that’s it. Isn’t there a planned upgrade for the linear rails? or something that already happened? I can’t remember atm. My point is that if they did design a new rail that was longer and had a way to move them independently, it could just be part of the “Independent extruder upgrade”. And everything else is as is. SM.

I’m not sure what the inside of the linear modules are like exactly, so it’s hard to say how hard that would be to do. Fun to think about tho. Especially with them coming out with a dual extruder… imagine having two of THOSE on your printer… lol.

Physically it wouldn’t be that hard to add a second screw drive behind the first and mount the motor on the opposite side. It would need to be a little deeper but not much. Obviously the heads couldn’t cross with this setup.
Coordinating the software to deal with both would probably be the biggest nightmare though.

-S

Physically yes, but I wouldn’t do it with the current rails, instead wait until we at least know how well the new rails work, I could be wrong but in order to fall in line with Snapmaker’s intent and model of the 2.0 I think they would have to do that to all of them to keep in line with its modularity of being able to easily change the machines orientation and use any rail in any position. That was the point I was getting at as well @Orbnotacus. Which would increase the price of the machine even more. I’m not opposed to a specialized rail and a designs purpose can change at any time. Also the new rails are intended to replace the original rails and I believe you cant just replace one or two with the new ones but all of them.

I really love the idea of the Two nozzle approach for some applications, for instance I can print a solid part with flexible parts in one print with out changing filaments. It is also very useful to print any support from a different material as they are easily removed.
My favorite is the multiple in with one nozzle to mix colors while printing. I have used this on the Zmorph(not mine) and it was very interesting. Hope Snapmaker will be looking at these options as well in the near future
Already saving for the rotary addon :smiley: :smiley:

Looking forward to seeing this come out. I can see the point that two independent extruders lets you print two things at once, but even being able to change materials within one print would be great!

I’m wanting it more for the soluble support. No more breaking off supports by hand

2 Likes

Any update to this. I’ve following it very closely and would love to know where we are with this. The last I heard was that they were expecting something at the end of 21… Well, it’s now 22 and I I’d like to know if they’ve dropped this or if they are still moving it forward. Thank you.

1 Like

@Mr-T the dual extruder head is coming out early 2022 (first quarter) as per the livestream a few months ago, and it looks much different than the prototype

Awesome to hear. Do you happen to know if there is a link to a recorded version of the livestream?