Filament Feeding Issue - Gear not pushing filament

Can someone please assist me? As of yesterday I started having issues with the printing module. It is not feeding the filament at all anymore. When I hit load with the nozzle temp at 200 Celsius nothing comes out. If I manually push the filament it comes out easily. The gear inside no longer looks like it is pushing the filament though. I have tried using the Snapmaker filament and Hatchbox filament with no luck. I have attached a video to explain more. The extruder is also new. Thank you!

When the door is open it won’t feed filament.
It needs to be closed to push it against the gear.

If you’re printing too close it blocks the nozzle and then the gear will grind the filament. If temperature is too low on nozzle it can cause flow problems and again gear will grind. Lastly, if filament gets old or wet it can get brittle, and then, you guessed it, gear will grind the filament.

-S

4 Likes

Wow…I feel very special after not thinking about that. Thank you for pointing that out. Noob mistake but learning! Thank you very much sdj544!

2 Likes

Sorry to break it to you, but you’re not special (at least not for that).
Lots of people have made that mistake. That’s why it was so quick and easy to diagnose. Lots to learn. That’s what makes it a fun adventure.

-S

3 Likes

What happens next? Do you have to replace the print head? Please help! I just started having this issue.

Read @sdj544’s first post. The one thing he didn’t mention is that if the gear has been grinding for a long time, the teeth could get clogged and need to be cleaned before it will feed properly.

If none of the obvious fixes work for you, then contact support. If you have a mechanical issue preventing the gear from turning, or you’ve worn it down by printing a lot of very abrasive filament, or anything like that, you may indeed need a new print head, and that’s how you get one.

Also, it’s better to start a new thread than resurrect one about someone else’s problem from almost a year ago.

1 Like