FDM 3D Printer Assessment - Pillar looks terrible

That worked pretty nice. Two walls are 0.45, and two are 0.46. I think this is good😊

I ran the same test print, got some stringing on the pillars, but not anything near what you got. They were all >30mm. The only changes from as-shipped I did were extruder calibration and 5mm retraction. The dimensional accuracy was great, and in general the print quality was very good. The one area that really failed was the overhang ramp, looked terrible other than 45, same as you show. Did you use the provided PLA? People have complained it strings a lot. I forget what the total score was, 20 I think.

1 Like

This was a good hint! No matter what I tried, I couldn’t reduce stringing with the PLA. So I switched to Kaisertech PLA and the first result was much better.

The Problem is that after the first print I could not get the Kaisertech PLA to stick to the build plate. I changed temperature of the nozzle up and down between 210 °C and 185 °C, Heat bead from 70 °C to 50 °C, initial layer height, initial layer width, brim, skirt,…

Nothing worked. Before using the PLA (was very old and has been back in the closet for at least two years) it put it in the oven @50°CV for 1 hour. Is it possible I dried it too much?

Fillement… I haven’t even opened the SM stuff lol

If anything too short. Most places recommend 4-6 hours.

I haven’t been doing this long enough to have personal experience, but from what I’ve read filament has a shelf life no matter how well you store it. What that life is can vary greatly depending on a lot of things.

-S

-S

Surprisingly to me it’s been a matter of temperature. This filament needs to be printed with 225 °C.

It’s getting better. A little wrapping, but stringing is much less than with the Snapmaker filament.

What do you think about Z-calibration? Too close? Too far? Or even good??

Surprisingly to me was the Extruder calibration. I ran that again with the new filament. Right now I was @ 249.34. Doing it with the new filament I would come to a value of 285.61 (!) As far as I read the postings here this is a real high value. So I didn’t update it…

Finally you got your better results with a other filament.- But i could say, you printed too hot with the snapmaker filament, see at this points:

Comparing to my results (printed with Extrudr PETG black @40mm/s, 225°C nozzle, 60°C bed)

1 Like