Engraving on glass

Hello everyone. I am brand spanking new to this forum. I just ordered my Snapmaker 2.0 yesterday waiting on it to be delivered. I have spent the last 2 days consumed in Youtube videos. I saw i video where a guy laser engraved on a wine glass but it looked like he had an attachment that held the glass and rotated with the laser. Does anyone know if Snapmaker has this type of attachment

You can buy a rotary attachment for the larger Snapmaker2 models (the A250 and A350), yes.

Keep in mind, though, that the Snapmaker’s laser is relatively weak. It won’t engrave anything transparent unless you coat it in something first (marker works), and I’m not sure it will engrave glass at all. So that wineglass may be out of reach even with the rotary attachment.

There are also a number of designs on Thingiverse for an attachment that will let you use the laser on cylindrical items. But generally those are used on tumblers and pint glasses that the height doesn’t vary along one axis. The big problem with wine glasses is that they’re generally curved too much and you’ll lose focus. There’s no easy way to compensate or program those heights for the laser.

Sharpie, dry erase marker, or dry moly spray lube all work to lightly etch glass with the SM.
-S

1 Like

I saw that grblgru can apparently accomplish this, but I haven’t attempted to use it yet.