Engraving glass surface by laser 1600mw

I bought the 1600 mW laser engraver but still didn`t use it . I want to know if this laser can engrave on a glass surface or not .
I read the specification of the laser device on the website and it is mentioned that the engraving on glass is not possible . However , i found many videos for lasers engraving surfaces .

Anybody can clarify this point to me

1 Like

Your right - its not possible with 1600mW. Any other opinions anyone?
I think not even the 7W Laser they want to do is making the job.

There are some who have engraved glass, i think there is a spray or coating you can apply to the surface to allow it to lightly etch it anyhow.

It’s not powerful enough to do it by itself, especially with clear glass. It doesn’t absorb enough energy. You can use dry moly spray lube, sharpie or dry erase marker.
The dry moly works the best.
I just did a candy container for a birthday present that turned out really nice. My wife gave it away before I got pics. Trying to get some. Will share if I do.
-S

It is not only a matter of laser power, but also laser wavelength, i.e. color. The Snapmaker laser is blue/UV, which is not absorbed by glass and thus will not deposit energy into the glass, so as a net result nothing happens. The videos you watched are most likely a CO2 laser, which is an infrared laser, and I assume that glass is opaque for IR, thus the laser is absorbed by the surface of the class, and therefore engraving works.
As @sdj544 points out, by applying a absorbing material to the glass, you still might achieve something.

1 Like

Hi, I live in Germany. Is it possible to post links to these products in a online store? Then I could look for an equivalent in Germany. Many thanks

This is what I use:

I would assume that any dry molybdenum spray would work.
It is highly flammable when being sprayed. Not when dry though.

Use masking tape to keep it off areas you don’t want it. Cleans off with alcohol and some elbow grease. Lacquer thinner is fastest.
-S

1 Like

Only for understandig: good sunglasses :sunglasses: are filtering uv radiation from sunlight. Can the laser engrave such sort of glass as he asorbs the lasers wavelenght?

Thank you very much. I’ll now try this one first:

if it doesn’t work I’ll try this one

I will report my experience here
Thanks again for the reference to MoS2

Either of those look like they’re the same thing. Just needs to dry with a nice even layer. I usually do 2 or 3 coats, let dry between for 15-30 minute.s

The settings I use are:
Vector fill with max density of 20, 100% power, 400mm/m (not sure I couldn’t go a lot faster, but this speed works)
I usually do 2 passes at same height. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I figure it can’t hurt. At some point I should test, but how long it takes hasn’t really mattered.
-S

1 Like

Thanks very much - you are great!

Looking a bit closer, the SM2 laser is 450 nm wavelength, and looking at Wikipedia this is still blue, not even violet, lest unltraviolet. In that sense I’d say: Sunglasses will not show anything based on their UV absorption. Still, since they absorb visible light, there’s a chance that you might see effects from the SM2 laser, although I’d doubt it, bacause you need both: wavelength & power, and 1.6W is not too much power. Mentioned CO2 lasers usually have mid-2-digit wattages, 20-40 W are not unusual. A 450 nm 40W laser most likely would not effect window glass, but my bet would be that it would do something to sunglasses. And, to be complete, depending on how your sunglasses were manufactured, perhaps the SM2 laser might still do something: If the coloration of the sunglasses are from some dye or a film applied to the glass, the film or the dye may be discoloured or molten by the laser.
Just out of curiosity I tried to find out how much IR light glass absorbs - so the CO2 laser has a wavelength of 10600 nm - all transmission spectra for silicate glass I could find in a few minutes search eneded at 5000 nm - but at that wavelegth, glass is practically opaque, so I guess the same is true at 10000 nm.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out

I’ve wondered if you could “paint” the bottom of the glass and laser engrave through the glass, leaving the outside surface flat.

Anyone tried this?

Wouldn’t it be easier to just flip the glass and mirror the engraved image accordingly?

It partly depends on whether the sunglasses are glass or polycarbonate. I haven’t tried colored glass yet, so can’t say. I did do some tests on some resin/stabilized burl pieces that were left over from some pen turnings blanks. The results were very uneven dependent upon the color of the resin. Some parts turned dark like they were being burned like wood and others turned whitish gray like they were being etched and some parts were affected very little.
I also ran tests on the 2422 amber acrylic I’m using for my enclosure. Tried the tissue paper test through the acrylic. While the tissue paper was untouched the acrylic was really nicely etched - whether I was focused on the top of acrylic, or on the tissue paper through it.

I guess I’ll have to find some colored glass to play with.

Tried that and it works beautifully. Left is etched through. Right is from the back.

I was really shocked by how good it looked.
I didn’t paint the glass myself, but found some clear glass tiles that had a silver backing. I’m assuming painting the glass would give the same result. The silver looked like normal spray paint but then there was a thicker backing coat. Not sure if you’d need to use something like plasti-dip. Need to lower power a bit to keep from bubbling. Not sure how other colors would react or look.

Depends on what look you’re going for. When you do it this way the glass gets etched. So it’s frosted, not clear.

It looks good with some backlighting but otherwise as seen in above pictures doesn’t really work with the silver at least. Maybe a darker color would help or maybe need to try painting the etched part and see if that helps it pop.

-S

2 Likes

I found this video on youtube :https://youtu.be/uwkPZETgdlc using snap-maker machine a plastic transparent 4mm acrylic sheet was engraved by laser without any additional coating or covering .
Did anybody try to do so ?

1 Like

Hi,
you have to pay attention to the right kind of acrylic and then it is not a big problem. The settings are also well described here:

the different possibilities of the two acrylic types are well described here

Thank you so much . Thats what i was looking for exactly :+1:

Hi,
I did the first test with WEICON Dry Moly Lube Spray Mos2 today.

It worked. Yay!

Many thanks for your tips

One more question: How do I get the Dry Moly Lube off again? Especially in the lasered parts, it stubbornly sticks.

I am also grateful for any tips.
Sepp