Enclosure fume venting

Those of you that have the enclosure, and use your SM indoors, where are you venting the fumes to? Just away from the area, or through some sort of filter?

An air purifier that will attatch to the enclosure vent is on the roadmap as an add-on they are working on.

Outdoors. Ran a dryer hose to a dryer vent. Had to put a hole in the wall though. For a lot of reasons I prefer not to use a filter. Main reason being the need to use a charcoal filter and then have to change often or they lose their effectiveness. And no easy way to test when they have. If you can vent to outdoors you should.
Of course a lot depends on what materials you’re working with - whether it’s just smelly or irritating or actually poisonous.
-S

1 Like

I’ve prepared the prints for a ‘cap box’ for the vent (will cut away part of the duct at the machine and mate up there vs. using the hose) because of my machine’s orientation on my desk; Sized it to just shove a couple of those carbon filter mats you get for countertop vegetable scrap (composting) collection lids in there. Then again I don’t currently have massive plans for the laser, yet. While I’ll definitely print and deploy that solution before I try the laser I have no idea how effective it will be.

Like sdj544, I’ve vented mine to the outside, although I went via a window. I figure that if I do start printing lots of ABS or using the laser module semi-regularly, it’s the safest way to go.

1 Like