E3D Revo to J1, integration need help to integrate electricaly

Hello, I found an relatively easy way to mechanically fit a E3D REVO on the J1 but I need help to make sure the electric part of it would be compatible to.

The topic was introduce here with some good point from Mechanikus

Thx Looking forward to make this work.

Interesting adapter! I designed a whole new heatsink instead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: My only concern with the adapter is how well you would get heat to flow through two thermal interfaces.

I haven’t looked at the firmware yet, but I suspect it’s a relatively easy change in Marlin. Mainly just need to update the code for the thermistor. I’ve done it on other printers with Marlin and it’s a one line change.

i designed a heatsink but getting it made would be too costly. I used to work at a machine shop and if i had access to it, i could make them myself. Got an adapter for the threads instead.

1 Like

Given the compatibility issues with the PT100 temperature sensor I wonder if a titanium Hemera heatbreak would be a good partial solution. The cold side of a Hermera heatbrak is identical to that of a Revo, but the hot side fits a standard V6 heater block. Design could be completed on a Revo compatible adapter/heatsink and testing could be completed using the stock hotend and a Hermera heatbreak. Once a workaround for the PT100 hardware becomes available, or E3D releases a PT100 Revo heater, it would be a quick swap to remove the Hermera heatbreak and mount a full Revo setup.

if E3d makes a pt100 then an inexpensive adapter will be all thats needed for a nearly drop in replacement

Anyone know how to change just one thermistor to be a NTC100? ive barely ever dabbled in printer firmware before. Most i did was change max temperature on a Cr6SE when i went all metal

Hardware needs to be sorted out first. PT100 sensors utilize an amplifier circuit. This amplifier needs to be bypassed before any of the more typical thermistors is utilized. In another thread Mechanikus mentioned that the amplifier circuit was a part of the hotend assembly. If true, it should make it easier to bypass.
Thermistor is saying Hotend Temp is -30 - #9 by Miles

How are the performance? What adaptor? custom made?
I taught remaking the heatsink if the extra interface are not efficient enough.
How is the software interacting? Figured out how to solve the -30c problem?

Sorry, that seems to have been unclear. The amplifier is located on the PCB that is mounted into the print head just below the extruder motor. It is not part of the PCB that is on the swappable hotend assembly, that one only has the resistor for the nozzle detection.

i know very little about software and honestly even less about hardware with electrical components, as for bypasses and amplifiers: im totally clueless.

the adapter i used was a M6 to M4 threaded adapter. you can find them online or make them on a lathe if you have access to one or anyone who does.

Can you please help me to find this adapter? I tried in vain, could not find it.
I found however the adapter that allows the Revo system to be used with V6 nozzles and that makes your idea very interesting

this was the adapter i used. Aluminum would be better to use than steel due to the heat transfer. This was for a test / proof of concept. when i go to vermont for the summer im gonna borrow a friends lathe and make some out of aluminum

thanks for that, Miles. These could certainly be found in brass too. I stopped going the way with the ceramic heater as you would have to change that in every firmware upgrade. That’s why I went with the Volcano, based on Chris Harrison’s idea
J1 Volcano hotend.docx (2.7 MB)

here is the link to the brass ones.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004564819130.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis!AUD!AU%247.14!AU%245.72!!!!!%402103209b16863941205095570ef57c!12000029698363509!btf&_t=pvid:0d4a1138-20b7-49d9-a90e-41b2561375b0&afTraceInfo=1005004564819130__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1686394120&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct

if you want to make them yourself, start off with a Volcano nozzle. That makes the job quite easy.