Dual extruder set up

This is the post I wish existed when I started with my dual extruder, so here it is for those behind me.

My first prints, after firmware update and following the SM calibration in the quick start guide, I got the following -

Clearly under extruded. But when I checked the E-steps (twice!) they were correct. So after researching I figured the Z calibration was off. So I recalibrated and same thing. Then I manually calibrated and it was waaaay too low.

I created a 2x2 square and kept printing the first layer and kept getting a bad print. Finally, I saw that one could adjust the z height while printing and it would stay. So printed the square several times, adjusting the z height until the print was good.

So now everything is working, well if not perfectly. I’ll continue adjusting as I go. But (at least in my case) the auto z height calibration was pretty far off. So my suggestion would be to manually set it, but a little too low (although the same height as my single extruder that worked perfectly) and then print and adjust as you go until you find a good height.

I also kept a record of all my work so the I should be able to recreate it if I lose my settings.

Good luck all!

That’s what many users report - in my case, I end up ~0.3 mm too high. There’s even a bug filed, but yet to no avail. In my case it may (at least) partly be caused by the X-module flexing when the DX presses down for auto-z-calibration.

1 Like

Of course, I spoke too soon about solving this issue. On the right extruder I still can’t get it right. If the layer is smooth there are still gaps between the skin and the walls. I have to seriously lower the head to the point where it leaves a trough in the filament in order to fit the gaps. So back to the drawing board with the right extruder!

Are you aware that you can adjust Z-offset on the fly for left and right separately? For me, that is good enough, I use the skirt to tune the Z-distance in, and basically get along very well this way…

The filament pulls on the nozzle and makes it move up.

That’s why the second nozzle is always wonky.

So I adjusted the Z on the fly (which is how I got the left extruder correct), but on the right extruder the skin is correct - beautiful and smooth, no gaps between the lines, except there are still small gaps where the skin attaches to the walls. I will post a picture once I get home. I thought I had one but apparently I don’t.

Here’s what I’m talking about. I ran a test, with the z lowering from -.05mm to -.10 in the middle of the skin.

In this photo the z is a little low, even on the -.05 side, given the artifacts in the center -

But in this photo you can see the light coming thru where the skin and wall doesn’t meet enough to totally fill the gaps.

So I’m just trying to figure out how to get rid of the gaps while also not squishing the PLA down too far.

Did you do the alignment routines between the two nozzles?

I dunno. I ended up switching to a different multi material printer. I’m thinking there is a reason no one else uses dual nozzles.

I am in the process of redoing the calibration now. Releveled the bed, then redid the z auto and then manually adjusted it while printing. Then X/Y. I’m doing the X/Y check, then to bed - it’s late here. Tomorrow I’ll check e steps for the third time, and then try a print again. The thing is, it’s not the dual nozzles per se, since it’s an issue with one nozzle - gaps within the one extruder, not between the duals. So ???

1 Like

The other unknown is the drag from the filament holders to your nozzles… any pull back will lift the nozzle.

A few iterations aligning everything will pay off.

Good luck,

IMHO -0.05 is still too low, judging by your picture. If going to +/- 0.0 brings you back to your original picture, I’d try increasing flow rate in 5% steps in the slicer. After finding the sweet spot, you now how far off the E-Steps are.

I seem to remember that when the DX came out, E-Steps could not be set individually for left and right extruder. Does anybody know if this is still the case? if so, that would be a problem if the filament you use is significantly thinner than the other nozzle’s filament. Still, slicer flow rate adjustment should solve that.

It was actually +.05, wrote it wrong. That was from my manual calibration that I purposefully set low. I went back and reran all the calibrations, this time using automatic and then adjusting manually to get the best layer. I ended up with L -.25 and R -.35.

I’m currently printing flow calibration cubes via teaching tech to see about the flow. once I have that I will go back to manually messing with the Z height. This is what it currently looks like w the left extruder -

Still underextrustion, maybe a little. If the flow is good I’ll drop down the Z height and see if I can get rid of the gaps and make it smoother.

@Hauke the E-steps can be set individually - there is a post about it I bumped to the top and asked the mods to pin or add to the calibration a must thread.

My e-steps were right on again (for the third check). Good on Snapmaker for making that change. I remember my SX was way off.

Finally, when checking the e-steps of my RX, I discovered the Luban won’t let me heat up the RX manually. Whatever I do only heats up the LX. I had to use G-code to get the RX up to the correct temp to do the test.

Thank you to all who have commented!

1 Like

So after a week off I’m back at it. Installed the new firmware (1.18.2), releveled everything, and manually leveled the Z while printing. Ended up with -.40mm and it is fine. The first layer looks like it’s printing too low, but all the gaps are filled. When I printed the flow calibration cube it came out to .4mm exactly, so it isn’t a flow issue. Anyway, things are rolling and the printing is happening, so I’m happy. Thanks to all who read and/or commented.

2 Likes