Drag marks on project

When printing flat objects I get random drag marks across the piece when the printer completes one layer and moves across the part to start the next layer. I recalibrated and still have the same issue. I calibrated again, but that time set the calibration where there was minimal resistance of the calibration card. That created adhesion problems with the print bed.

Is there an adjustment for the print head lifting after competing a pass?

Yes, in luban, create custom settings, enable z hop

Z-hop helps yeah, it seems like i still get them on some motions. i think cura probably has the smartest z-hopping logic over the others.

Thanks, I found where the Z Hop settings are in Luban, but doesn’t seem to want to accept any changes. Possibly another setting somewhere in Luban to enable changes?

You have to make a custom profile, click the + near the profile.

Wow, too simple I overlooked it. Thanks.

Well, after working with the settings for a while and not resolving the drag marks I realized that the marks are being made not between layers, but within each layer. Seems when Luban when creates the G-code it causes a need for the print head to move back over the layer to finish incomplete areas. It is here where the drag marks are made.

1 Like

This is a known problem of 3d printing, in cura or simplify3d there is a option to not travel over printed space. In cura is also a experimental function to iron the top surface (search for neosanding in the forum)

I wonder doesn’t zhop work? Did you even try 2mm?

that ironing feature seems like a neat thing but i wasn’t really too happy with how it came out, i should go back to cura and revisit these things now that i have some hours of printing under my belt.

I tried 2mm for Z hop. Z hop worked when a layer was complete and going to the next layer. It didn’t work within a layer when the print head traveled to part of the layer needing to be finished. Not familiar with Cura. Seems it is developed for Unimaker 3d printers.

Then it sounds like you have slight over extrusion that is pushing up extra filament that allows the nozzle to drag across.

Next print try a flow multiplier of of like 96% or something.

A single wall calibration cube will let you measure the correct value, https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#flow

Thank you for that share, i was just about to look around for a good test to figure out flow rate

it seems like every spool i load has a different rate, especially these silk plas… the lines are like twice as wide as the material coming out of the nozzle during a changeover, its nuts

I would suggest to clean your nozzle and print a temp tower to get proper extrusion.

What is the technology term for this failure? The one where the nozzle gets dragged through the fresh, melty stuff?

Scars: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/scars-on-top-surface
Or ‘scratches’, ‘drag marks’, or others surely.

2 Likes