Discussion of Snapmaker J1 Firmware Updates

Take care: I measured against the z level contact surfaces (the three golden dots on the heat bed PCB) since these are relevant for the printer. The edges of my print bed are lower that these contact surfaces.

Triggered by this discussion I went and checked my print bed as well: slightly concave with the highest point at the XY calibration square. The rims are some 0.8mm lower.

My bed appears to only be bowed side to side. Front to back it is flat. The bowing is a smooth curve and the distance at the two front reference points is not dramatically different from the distance at the edges. It is bowed badly enough that measuring to the nearest .1mm is unnecessary.

Okay, that might be something then, thanks!

Then the only strange thing is the comment from @JohnDoe that does not seem to fit to your data.

Can anyone else shed some light onto that?

Im not at home the days. I will make some pictures next time at the calibration with both firmwares. I got now Brozzil nozzles they don’t work on stock hotend because they hit the bed with new firmware. So I buy micro swiss nozzles. That work. Next day I was see the UFO cooler hit the bed on the center level point on the back, with the old firmware there was no problem with that and Witz the Brozzil nozzles.

Was the Brozzl nozzle the ruby tipped version?

I am guessing here, but it sounds like the issues you are seeing are coming from your hardware changes and are completely unrelated to any firmware changes. If your cooler is contacting the bed it is sitting too low.

I just got mine and I think I’m having trouble getting a decent speed (I use Cura). Just tried some Temp Towers and they look absolutely horrible.

You have correct retract setting and the others.

What settings Do you use and what kind of filament

Cooper Plated Nozzle. With old firmware no problem.

With the new did don’t work.

So it’s not Hardware problem

Can you clarify what you meant by “hit the bed” and “don’t work” when you were using the plated copper Brozzl nozzles? Are you referring to the calibration procedures or when actually printing?

For reference, I have used every firmware going back to 2.3.5 along with E3D NozzleX hardened steel nozzles and have never had any issues with “hitting the bed” or “not working”. I always redo the calibrations after every firmware update, and I have never seen any difference in behavior.

@JohnDoe @nnowak I guess we need to differ here a bit depending on the setup. Maybe it helps to sum up how I understood your posts and you correct me wherever I am wrong:

1. JohnDoe uses plated copper Brozzl nozzle and his own UFO fan duct. With firmware 2.4.8, his fan duct just about not touched the print bed when doing an XY calibration, with firmware 2.5.9 the nozzle seems to dive deeper into the hole in the print bed, making the fan duct collide with the bed.
    My question would be here @JohnDoe: is the glass print bed thickness setting on your printer still standard (5mm) or did you change it when you updated to the latest firmware? If it was changed: what happens with the “diving depth” during XY calibration if you change it back or to the other extreme (e.g. change it to 4.5mm if you had it set to 5.5mm or vice versa)? Did you change anything else after upgrading the firmware?
  2. nnowak does not see a changed nozzle diving depth during XY calibration, but his nozzle dives into the bed rather deep already since firmware 2.3.5 - he use a E3D nozzle with just 2mm cone height (and probable a cooling fan nozzle which has more vertical distance to the print bed?) which makes this visible. This might be related to the heat bed of his J1 being rather being unusually much bent if compared to mine.
    @Nnowak: how is your glass print bed thickness setting? Could you change it and check if that changes the intrusion depth as well?

@xchrisd Since the discussion about the XY calibration already has gotten much longer than expected: would it be possible to move all the posts regarding this topic to a separate thread? I don’t want to hijack Riskey’s firmware discussion thread for this any more

Yes, this is all correct. My bed thickness setting is unchanged from stock. The part cooling fans and ducts are also completely stock. I am still running the stock heatbreak and my overall hotend length is within 0.5mm of stock. I have not done the copperhead swap which appears to make a more significant change to overall length (was it 3mm shorter?).

Hey @Mechanikus, i am a user like you (no snapmaker staff) and not able to port posts in a thread to a other topic.
Maybe copy and paste and link to your new thread about?

Ooops! I thought you were admin since you had pinned my “first things to do
” thread! Sorry :slight_smile:

Even if we assume the firmware XY Calibration depth did change (I don’t think it has), the change would at most be 1mm.

@nnowak: yes, the copperhead swap reduces hotend length by about 3
4mm. This is the reason why I am so curious about finding the reason behind what @JohnDoe wrote - and why I need the help of someone who has upgraded to the latest firmware. One millimeter would make quite a difference there. As I wrote - I have just a little more than 1mm distance between the cooling nozzle and the print surface when I print normally - which is reduced to just about 0.1mm when doing the XY calibration.

The glass thickness doesn’t matter for the level and x y calibrate.

Yes I mean with the older firmware I have no problems.
If I updated to the newest the nozzle goes deeper in the hole so he can’t complete the calibration progress.
Nozzle hit the corner from the hole and the cooler touches the heatbed

Nozzle distance is the same as the old one with the micro swiss, is similar to the creality ones. I have done the orientation about the distance with head to head with a stock one, and then change the other one.

And he goes deeper in the hole. So I have order some stock hotends as spare parts for me, if they arived, I will mount it and let’s see what happens then.
So I can make some references

Are you 100% sure of that - and did you confirm it by trying? Because obviously there is something different between you and nnowak, and judging from the fact that you talked about the thickness feature earlier and have a custom build plate I suspect that you did play around with that one.

One more question: did you also try to downgrade the firmware with a USB stick and doing a manual firmware update via the touchscreen? That might solve the issue if it is firmware related.

The glass thickness setting should not matter, but it most definitely does for the XY Calibration. At 4.7mm, the hex on the V6 nozzle is slightly above the bed during calibration. At 5.5mm, the nozzle drops lower and the hex on the V6 nozzle is the point of contact with the calibration square.

During the testing, I noticed that a new firmware 2.5.10 was available. I did the update, repeated the testing, and the results were identical.

1 Like