Cutting Polystyrene Foam (EPS)

This is how I did:

1. Unscrew the laser module and put it aside. (Avoid the laser shines into your eyes or onto something that could burn.) Keep plugged in.
  2. Mount two spacers onto the bed for clearance below the cutting wire frame. Just two wooden slats mounted with wood screws.
  3. Mount the EPS cutting wire frame with tywraps. (It is actually a jigsaw frame with a resistance wire (nickel-chrome alloy wire of 0.3 mm) instead a saw blade and a power supply ~3A.)
  4. Find or create an image (black and white) of an object of which you can make a single line outlined object. Here a Christmas tree.
  5. Add this image into SnapmakerLuban (laser modus) and choose VECTOR (or choose VECTOR in SnapmakerJS and import the image). Scale and turn the image so it will fit onto the Snapmaker. The origin (0,0 coordinate) is the starting point must be just outside the object.
  6. Process the image, Multi-pass off, Work Speed 1000 mm/min is fine. Generate G-code. Do NOT continue to Load the G-code to workspace but Export G-code to File!
  7. Edit the NC file with a text editor. Edit the third last line into “G0 X0 Y0” to prevent the Snapmaker cuts through your object at the end. (Normally the laser operation ends at the centre of the image!?!!) Optionally remove line 28 with the M3 command to prevent the laser switching on. Save the text file. lubankerstboom3
  8. Go to the work area and open the G-code file. Start Snapmaker, connect and move to the starting point: Set Work Origin.
  9. Place the EPS plate onto the spacers on the bed. One tape was enough. Here you go: Run.
6 Likes

hopefully soon they will release the firmware for the module MCUs so that you don’t need to have the module head just setting there attached. but i love the work around!

1 Like

I placed a video on Facebook #Snapmakershowcase.

could you post it here as well? i do not use facebook so i will not be able to view it there.

sorry, file too big. max 4MB on this forum

1 Like

I also copied to Instagram which is public: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHNueP-H-KD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like

Beautiful
 like cutting butter. Nice mod, keep up the great posts!

That’s really cool!
I created my own foam cutter table (kind of like a scroll saw) that I use by hand to cut foam for rc airplanes. I’d thought about using the laser or cnc to do it on my SM, but that could be a great way to do it.

-S

The deep fret saw is a great use for holding the nichrome!

1 Like

what a great hack :+1: :+1:

Maybe a stupid question, but isn’t it possible to just cut it with the laser directly? I understand it might create some fumes you don’t want to breath in, but is that so different from cutting it with a heated wire?

Using the cnc would probably be very messy.

the laser would ignite the styropor and then the fire brigade may be too slow. London fire insulation skyscraper.

1 Like

and even if it didn’t start on fire (because you could defocus the laser and reduce power to reduce heat on the foam), cutting a thick piece would take forever with the laser (think of all those passes) where as this cuts any thickness in one pass :slight_smile:

Thanks for those quick replies :slight_smile:
Makes sense

It might not actually take many passes.
I just put my logo on the bottom of a couple slate trays that had some foam-type cushioning on the bottom. I had intended to just lightly melt the foam just enough to leave a mark, but forgot to change my power settings. At 2000mm/m and 100% power it went through 3mm foam no problem. White might not work as well as black.
What it did:

What I meant to do at 10%:

-S

4 Likes

Learned something again

Look at this guy, actually doing things. Didn’t you hear the discussion? Your house is on fire now :rofl:

Big thanks for sharing that - that gives me a few ideas to try. That technique could be great for making foam painting stamps.

Just the garage. :hot_face:

It was a short job so I watched it (with goggles and enclosure) and I have a good ventilation system that goes outside. I figured that even if it was pvc or something else that was bad to burn it was so small it would be fine.
Keep the work speeds up and most things aren’t going to burst into flame. If they are they’re going to do it right at the start. I have a halon fire extinguisher standing by. Might smolder a bit.

-S

3 Likes

@brent113 And that’s not polystyrene, we said polystyrene would catch fire XP.

But really, I don’t think the lower density Styrofoam in the video would have responded as well to the laser as the foam @sdj544 used
 but both are very cool!!

1 Like