Collecting printer settings for different filament materials/brands

Hi there!

I wantet to start this topic because I had some difficulties as a printer newbie finding the best printer settings for other filaments than the provided ones.
The specification from the manufacturers of the filaments are very wide and some of them simply don’t work because every printer is different.

What are the important points?

• Printing temperature
  • Heated bed temperature
  • Printing speed
  • Flow (extrusion rate)
  • Retraction speed/distance

What data should be provided by the participants? Pictures of a standardized test object (a cube 10x10x10mm for example)?

It will help the users that are not as ambitious as me (I can’t wait to get home from work to “play” with my printer until I go to bed) printing with other filament materials/brands.

Maybe we can collect data in this topic and create a closed list to be administered by the moderators.

Please write your comments.

6 Likes

@rojaljelly Brilliant idea! group therapy hahahaha, should reduce the stress of making mistakes

Add an “EGG” (compound curves with overhangs)…

egg sitting on a cube perhaps…?

from complaints i’ve seen so far, overhangs (droops), base warping/adhesion, and sagging seem to be the most common problems…

a single object which addresses most common problems would be good…

william…

xtra–> anybody done a video of problems…? exactly where something goes wrong helps a lot in troubleshooting…

group therapy is great, as long as the group ALWAYS acknowledges i am ALWAYS RIGHT…

william…

1 Like

hahahahaha, as my father would always say, You’re not often right but you are wrong again.

Have a great day

Doug

I don’t want it to get complicated because you don’t know how complex/big the ojects are that everybody wants to print. Maybe the temperatures for printing and the heated bed are enough - but I want to hear your opinion.

There are dozens of “printer test files” on the net but they need a very long printing time and I want to make more tests than 1 or 2 a day… If the manufacurer writes 195-220°C you will need at least 6 tests for the printing temperature (most people using 5 degree steps for testing as I realized).

I don’t know why but I think also the slicer software has a big influence on the final print.
Snapmaker3D stettings don’t work well in Simplify3D (printing speed too high, retraction too fast/far,…).
The retraction is so fast with Simplify3D that the filament gets grinded.

PS: I wanted to say sorry for my bad English once again. I’m feeling so stupid when writing in a language I don’t even speak well…

1 Like

@rojaljelly there is nothing wrong with your English… we are not here to mark essays. This is a world wide forum and I am sure we will all struggle articulating information at times.

Keep sharing your ideas, they are good.

Doug

3 Likes

your english is fine…

just relax and discuss best you can…

when a better translation is needed, we will ask…

i only speak english, some say poorly…

so what…

i communicate all over the world, even joke around…

those with thin skin learn to hate me…

again, so what…

those that want to get along, do so…

william…

(and YES, I SIGN MY NAME… ALWAYS… 45 year habit i don’t care to break…)

2 Likes

Hi @william.o.yates

I like your comment “learn to hate me…” damn that saves us all a lot of time… hahahahaha.

I was born in Scotland, came to Australia as a 7yo was surrounded by many migrants from all over the world and we all learned to communicate. Respect and a sense fun is the basics we need, the rest is just sharing information on how we can use this neat Snapmaker device.

Keep having fun

Doug (I too always sign my name, helps when you want to blame someone)

Hi all,

I’m American, so I also do not speak English :wink:

In any case I like the idea of where someone can look to find the ideal setting for various tools. I also used Simplify 3D. I recall finding the ideal setting for my Mendle90 was not easy. I had to use a lot of time, NOT PRINTING WHAT I WANTED, to get to the perfect settings.

And a table where tested settings for filament could be found would be perfect. Obviously based on one or more models as the basis. I would contribute to the collection of such information…well as soon as I get my SnapMaker. Being backer 33++, I guess I’ll need to wait a while longer.

Andrew (sign by name must be an old school thing. Might have something to do with taking ownership of what you do)

1 Like

yeah, yer rite…

old school, YOU OWN WHAT YOU DO…

my habit started pre-bbs dayz… i was mississippi-tinker on galacticomm/fidonet…

william…

LOL, pleasure to meet you…virtually :smile:

I ran a BBS, JET-net, with 2474 users in Frankfurt Germany at its highest point.
2 ISDN lines with 2x 64kb each multiplexed. Man that was awesomely fast.
Big increase to the 300 baud acoustic couplers which were in use at the time.

That’s pre-Internet, pre-gigabyte, pre-flat, pre-a lot for the youngens out there…

Andrew

1 Like

wahoo, fast… I am an old techie (Systems Programmer/Engineer) who was also the network manager back in the late 70’s lots of 1200, 2400 and 4800baud lines… the era of punched cards, paper and magnetic tapes. I too remember the dreaded acoustic couplers and lying them on their sides for better performance.

…and now I want my Snapmaker

Doug

Currently I’m (still) testing with PET(G) from ICE FILAMENTS and I have to say that tis material is pretty cool as I mentioned in some other topics.
It has so many advantages compared to PLA and works perfectly with our Snapmaker.
Good transparency (for 3D printed objects) for walls with 0,4/0,8 mm. With more outlines it’s getting more diffuse.

Quick settings to start from: Extruder: 220°C, Heat bed: 65°C, Speed: 30 mm/s, Layer height: 0,15 mm

Just be sure to have your printer calibrated. The 1st layer can be a little bit tricky if the extruder hasn’t been working for a while or the tip is to far away from the platform sticker. I’m struggling with the 1st print every day…

I don’t want to do the first “oficial” tests before we didn’t set the modus operandi.

1 Like

good point…

i’ve seen guys print test kissies before starting a big job, or changing filaments…

william…

(getting tired of my old memories, i wanna my snapmaker…)

1 Like

Exactly these feelings made me go for the beta machines…

Michael

1 Like

I like to use this one as a test print.

1 Like

Settings for translucent PET-G (tested with ICE Filaments www.icefilaments.com)
Attention: Full colour filled filaments (not translucent) require lower temperature settings!
Stated temperatures on the box: 195-220°C (all colours)

My Settings:

Printing Temperature: 240°C
Bed Temperature: 65°C
Printing Speed: up to 40 mm/s (fine details below 20mm/s)
Fan Speed 2nd Layer: 50%
Flow Rate: 104%
Tested at Layer Height: 0,15 mm

Printing slower makes the print surface smoother and more transparent.

3 Likes

I have tested this filament using the stock standard PLA print settings and have had great success, its cheap on amazon

2 Likes

Hi @rojaljelly,

Thank you for sharing the settings! I believe lots of users will benefit from them!
I am curious if you have tried TPU as well? If you have some successful prints, could you please share the settings with us?

Have fun with your Snapmaker!

Best regards,
Rainie

2 Likes