Cnc Really slow

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-03 om 18.33.42

i am trying to cmc the sign in the photo, simple
flat end mill 3.175 mm
2 mm target depth and carve path set to fill.
step down 0.5 mm
Jog height 3 mm
stop height 15 mm
work speed 600 mm/min
plunje speed 600 mm/min

the time on the first pass is almost 3 hours !!!

question 1: is there a way to speed things up ?
question 2: is there a file that shows the work and plunge speeds (like the laser chart) for the bits provided with the snapmaker ??

or do i have to switch to a real cnc like shapoko ??

Luban isn’t great as far as options. What is your density set to?

What type of wood?
Speed you can go depends on hardness.
You should be able to change step down to 1mm and work speed to 1200 with that bit with most woods. That would cut time down to 1/4 of what it’s taking now.
-S

S is correct. I found exactly the same thing. After a job which took 14 hours, I realised that a density setting of 1 equates to a sideways movement of the bit that is half the diameter of the bit so each pass takes place on a new piece of wood. The bit will keep going over 90% of its previous path if you have the density set to 10 because that density moves the bit sideways at the end of its pass by 0.1mm.

Thank you,

the wood is Plywood 12mm.
i will try to alter the setting and see how it goes.

question 2: is there a file that shows the work and plunge speeds (like the laser chart) for the bits provided with the snapmaker ??

I have not seen such a chart. I use an industry standard calculator to work out feed speeds according to material and bit flutes and size. It is free to use and can be used on the web or downloaded as an application to your mobile devices. It should help you to get a handle on feed rates.

https://zero-divide.net/?page=fswizard#

Edited: I forgot to add the chip load chart that should assist you to work out a feed rate with sufficient information. e.g. I am working with soft wood so 19,000 RPM x 2 flutes = 38,000 x the chip load of .004 = 152 mm/min feed rate. If the milling bit had 4 flutes,the impact is seen when the chip load is cleared faster: 19,000 RPM x 4 flutes = 76,000 x .004 = 304 mm/min.

https://www.cutter-shop.com/information/chip-load-chart.html

hope this helps

2 Likes

Snapmaker’s top spindle speed is only 12,000 rpm.

-S

1 Like

Thanks S. I was under the impression it was 19,000. Not sure where I saw that information but it stuck. It gives me a softwood feed rate of 96 mm/min. :thinking: :disappointed:

Just found a link which states 19,000 rpm.

I wonder what Snapmaker advertised… aha! Found it.

Your speeds are for snapmaker original. Snapmaker 2.0 has adjustable speeds from 6000 to 12000 rpm

1 Like

Thanks Stefan. I had just assumed that the speed asked for was for the original. My bad, I had forgotten that I was in the Snapmaker 2.0 forum. :thinking: :confused:

i am getting a lot starter here :slight_smile:

but how do i adjust the spindel speed ?