CNC machining "Go to Work Origin" button

Feature Request & Safety Measures

Hello!
I was setting up to prepare for CNC machining.
I was setting up to prepare for CNC machining, and while I was getting used to it because I had done a lot of CNC machining, I ran into a problem.

Because of my large hands and the small size of the touch panel operation, I had to press the wrong button (
I pressed the Go to Work Origin button right next to the Set Work Origin button) and broke the end mill.

If it was only broken, it would be fine, but it would lead to damage to the CNC rotation axis and module as well as the X and Y axes.
Since there was no denying the possibility of injury from the broken end mill, I requested a firmware change for the controller as a safety measure.

Have you had the same experience?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Feature Request & Safety Measures CNC machining “Go to Work Origin” button #55

1 Like

Sorry but this is a terrible idea.
If you do any cnc with multiple tool paths and bits you need to be able to use go to work origin quite often and you don’t want to have the origin changing or have to re-enter it.
What is needed to be added is an emergency stop to the screen.
There is a physical emergency stop button coming out along with the rotary module.
In the meantime any time you’re working with cnc you need to stay in reach of the power button.

-S

Hello, sdj544!

I hadn’t thought about the task of replacing the bit.
When I thought about that task, I understood that changing it would be problematic.

I guess I’ll withdraw my change request!

Ps. I wonder if there is a way to prevent pressing the wrong button…

Unfortunately there isn’t. I don’t disagree that it’s a problem.
Everyone has done it at some point.
Now I wish the icons were better or weren’t so close to each other.
There’s also the problem of not being able to stop the ‘run boundary’ if you accidentally hit that too.
If they could just give us a stop button that works…in the meantime keep the power button within reach.
I have a switch box that I can reach easily to kill the power.

-S

1 Like

Hello, sdj544.

I was going to make an emergency stop button, but I gave up the plan because the cable is special and I don’t know the pin assignment, and the cable modification will void the warranty.

I think Snapmaker should supply an emergency stop button immediately.
I don’t think it should be a limited move ahead of time.
It will only create more work for Snapmaker support over time.

I’m sure there are problems that can be avoided with an emergency stop button, so inevitably there will be less work for support.

The emergency stop button on the Snapmaker 3-in-1 Original was easy to use.
I mention it because it might be useful for Snapmaker 1.0 users.

Go-to X/Y should be a button. Go-to XYZ would not really be useful. I can’t recall exactly what the buttons are, but as long as Z doesn’t change and you’re high enough an XY move is safe

1 Like

Go to X/Y would be time saving and wonderful. There have been any number of times I’ve needed to change bits on a work piece between cuts and obviously the Z height is going to change some and go to work origin is as likely to land/break a bit as it is to hover over the material (actually considering my experience and Murphy’s law, it would more like 70/30).

In CNC mode, immediately after powering on, use the Enabled “Go to Work Origin” button instead of the “Set Work Origin” button.

When the “Go to Work Origin” button is accidentally pressed instead of the “Set Work Origin” button in the CNC mode immediately after powering on, the bet and the end mill come into contact, causing the end mill to be pushed.

I think you need to set the default XYZ position of the “Go to Work Origin” button to a position higher than Z immediately after turning on the power.

After the first “Set Work Origin” button, there is no need to mask the “Go to Work Origin” button, so this can be handled by programming the firmware.

We just want to prevent damage due to Y-axis manipulation and button mis-pressing.

Is this still not working?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

No, you don’t want that actually. You want to be able to keep the previous work-origin for larger projects where you turn of the machine between different jobs.
I’ve done some jobs that take 10+ hours and have done in multiple parts over multiple days. I don’t want to lose the work-origine in between these (partial)jobs.

Or you need to be able to save (preferably) different work-origins in the controller like in more professional cnc machines.

Like @brvdboss says, you definitely do not want that.
Just need a little more differentiation and space between the buttons would help. Even just making the circle around the ‘go to’ red would help.
-S