CNC-advice for a potential buyer

I think the most correct answer is “it depends”. If cnc is your sole goal and you don’t care about 3D printing at all, then it would make more sense to go for a cnc machine. I’ve been doubting about that myself for quite a long time as well, but in the end went for the SM2.

I was doubting between a good 3D printer (Prusa i3 -range) which is just below 1000EUR, a cnc machine like the shapeoko, workbee or x-carve. (just google any of these names with “vs” to it and you’’ find plenty of other options as well → shapeoko vs …) Which cost as much or more than the SM2 A350. So in the end I went with the A350 because I didn’t want to spend 3000EUR on two devices “just to play with” when I can experiment with just one as well. And that has a decent bed size!

I’m awaiting my SM2 (it was shipped 2 weeks ago so I hope I’ll get it soon) so I can’t give you my personal advice or feedback yet. Only the considerations I’ve made myself. I think the SM2 is capable of doing a lot as well, but the speed will be limited and you won’t be able to mill aluminum for example (or at least not in a pleasant way) which you should be able to do with one of the dedicated cnc devices with a much stronger router.

And there are some nice projects that users in this forum have done already with the SM2, for example this one:

A lot of people are complaining about the software (Luban) as well, however if you want to do any decent or more complex 3D carving you need better cam software anyway. Even the guys from Carbide3D list it on their website. Their own software is good for 2D carvings, but if you want nice 3D carving, you’ll need other software anyway (Fusion 360, Meshcam, Estlcam etc). I did play around with the carbide 3d software and I can’t say I was impressed.

The most important exercise you should do for yourself is list some sample projects you would like to do and the versatility that you want to be able to do, see how much space you have (the SM2 is a relatively compact device compared to some other options), how much time you want to spend on those projects (If you do it for a living speed is important, if it’s a hobby it’s less critical) and obviously the budget you want to spend.

Taking those into account my personal conclusion was to go for the SM2 because I wanted to experiment with all those things and have some fun projects to do with my son and get him interested in the technology. And in that respect the SM2 came out on top for me.

Ask me again in a month if I’m still happy with that choice :wink:
But do know that there are also a lot of people very happy with their SM2. for example: