Camera Capture Freezes

Hi all–

Got my SM2 A350 about 10 days ago, started with the Laser module…did 3 or 4 small test projects using camera capture and had great results.

Started to load up my 5th project and the camera capture keeps freezing and won’t continue, machine seems to go unresponive on the operation and just sits without proceeding.

Have power cycled machine, have reseated tool cables, have tried to recalibrate and after cutting lines in the paper it freezes on the camera portion.

Any ideas how to resolve this? Did something go wrong on my laser module?

Firmware is latest v1.10.1_20200822

WIll also add that if I attempt to perform a camera calibration from the touch screen, the machine will move and go cut the paper square, completely as expected, then, when the tool head raises up to do the camera portion, it just freezes…

I have had the same issue. Have not been able to solve. Waiting on customer service for over 2 weeks.

@ritteran that’s not encouraging, I hope they’re responsive, I did email in on this as well.

I literally just got my machine and it worked well for the first small trial runs I did :frowning:

Update
This seems to be related to the work piece! I switched from the 75mm tall bamboo box back to a 9.5 bamboo cutting board and the camera works as expected again.

This may be a software bug on the controller recognizing the object or something… very strange

Unfortunately with all my trouble shooting the work offsets are wonky so I need to essentially recalibrate from scratch and see how it goes. Was doing great up until this…

1 Like

Having the same issue. Camera Capture will take three frames and then freeze.

Is there a way to bring up Camera Capture via the USB connection to the Snapmaker instead of through WiFi. That may solve all the problems.

@gigrichj try swapping up the work piece you have in the machine–in my case, when it was failing out, I had a small bamboo container that was 75mm tall and round…Camera Capture failed every time.

I changed that out to a 1.5mm wood sheet and the camera suddenly worked “as expected” over and over again–my thought is that it must be a software bug on controller processing of the workspace when it’s doing it’s image capture and the controller must just freak out on the “non flat” object on the work space.

I also had the same issue with the camera capture freezing. For some reason, it only does that when the enclosure box is installed though. Here is what I have done to fix it. This leads me to think that the problem is most likely within in the coding after adding the enclosure to the printer.

Fix:

1. Set up the bed plate with whatever you will be working with.
  2. Unplug the enclosure box (Add on #3 port), then turn on the printer, or restart it.
  3. Run the camera capture feature then return the printer to the home position. (This is so it the printer can better remember your bed layout positioning if you need more accuracy).
  4. Re-connect the enclosure box (Add on #3 port), restart the printer, reconnect the Wi-Fi.
  5. Start print

Snapmaker 2.0 (350) with 1.10.1 latest firmware

So this can be fixed, can I recommend that you advise the developer of this bug using a github issue here:

Have you tried just turning the enclosure light off when you do it?
Some people have reported success turning off all their lights so it only uses the one on the head. Wondering if this is what’s happening.

-S

1 Like

The work around is incredibly simple, haven’t had any issues since–put a piece of paper (I chose graph paper to help me visually align the work piece) on the bed with the work piece on top of it ! and the camera feature works as intended.
IMG_6336

3 Likes

Yeah - it has to do with the images. It seems like when it’s too black the image algorithm hangs.

I did following working approaches:

• Place random stuff on the platform
  • Place a piece of paper (like yours) on the platform which covers each camera capture segment a bit.
  • Disable enclosure lighting (forces the system wo brighten up every picture - strangely works and everything is still recognizable good enough)
1 Like