Best way to clean smoke smell from enclosure?

Specifically, I’m looking for information about what will both clean smoke smell AND be safe on whatever material the orange walls and linear modules are. You think a Clorox wipe (bleach) would be safe and remove the smell? Isopropyl alcohol? Ammonia? diluted dish soap?

After I laser-burned the sample box, I didn’t vent my enclosure with the fan and just let the gathered smoke stay in there a while because I was afraid to set off the smoke alarms… Now I’ve moved it to a window where the duct blows it outside. :man_facepalming:

Maybe get a Charcoal filter then?
For the cleaning, start with soap, and move upwards carefully, Isopropyl shouldnt attack plastics. Dont know about the other two, they sound like they are quite hard on plastics though. If you have to use them, start on a edge in a hidden area to see if the Plastic doesnt like it.

1 Like

The plastic is acrylic. It’s soft and will scratch easily. The biggest problem is whatever dust on it scratching before you can remove it.
There are special cleaners and polish for acrylic.
You’re not supposed to use windex or ammonia on it.
Soap and water is safe.
I don’t worry too much about scratching personally. If it does, oh well. I have some spray window cleaner and use that with a microfiber cloth and don’t worry about it.
I have some special Endust that’s for electronics and doesn’t leave a residue but helps with static that I use for cnc dust.
I don’t think the acrylic actually retains much odor though. Febreze would probably be the best bet for odors.

-S

1 Like

Hrm :thinking: Maybe add some post job code that drives the head over to a defind position and press down on the mentioned Febreze bottle so it puffs once? :smiley: Next to an airhorn to inform you its done with the job.

3 Likes

Blow out of a window will shure be the best. I am using Filteradapter SM2.stl (2.3 MB) I designd for holding a charcole insert from Amazon. In the outlet I clipsed a big 24V Fan that helps the little one from the enclousure. Works well.

2 Likes

stefix is so creative :smiley:

1 Like

These activated carbon filters from Amazon are great, but wear out quite fast when you are cutting more. We are using this filters from ebay. They are used by the German army and contain more than 3kg activated carbon and cost less than 15 EUR. These filters are beyond their recommended shelf life, but as long as they are still evacuated, when you open them, they are absolutely brand new. We did not had a single bad one in the last 5 years.

1 Like