Anyone have the proximity sensor part #

Could it be that the sensor is to high, its seems on the photo its even with the black housing of the partcooler, Have a look at that, difference nozzle sensor 1mm. Perhaps the housing of the printhead makes the light go up. Only a thought…

Hey Guys, Thank you for the input, I appreciate all of it. Metal next to it does not make the light turn off or seem to affect it. I was able to check the connector and did a visual on it and all looks good. I ohmed it out while I was at it and all pins showed complete opens(MΩ) from one pin to the other. I don’t have a good sensor so I do not know if that is correct. I have not plugged in the module backward (yet) it kinda started out of the blue.

Took the sensor all the way out away from all metal and the light stays on all the time. Probably a bad sensor. Reinstalled it and tried the 1mm adjustment with a credit card just to be sure but got the same results. I will email all my findings to Zero and hopefully, they can send me a new one.

The manual level seems to be okay for now but probably just in the center. I’ll try and print something wider to test it better.

Does anyone know offhand how to ping the prox sensor to see it’s status? i know it can be done.

we could try to ping it to see if it changes states to make sure the board is ok

you could cross ground to signal to simulate the input and check it crossed and uncrossed to verify the board functions correctly.

just a thought

Just had them replace mine for not responding to metal.

Send them a video of it not responding to metal and they’ll send you a new one.

Just got an email today saying they will be sending me a new sensor.

1 Like

I just noticed that the new sensor is melted. WTF?
Is there supposed to be some sort of heat shield on this thing?

That part does not come up on Digikey. Bad sign

SM will send a new one. It seems like there should be a heatshield around it. I will make one from a thin piece of aluminium sheet; because at $35 a pop these could get expensive real fast.

I found some details about that sensor on some Chinese site.
Baoler/BAOLSEN Proximity Switch N3F-H2NA
Sensing distance: 2.5mm
Response frequency: 500Hz
Voltage: 24V
Output type: NPN
Repeat accuracy: 0.04mm
Protection: IP67

See https://baolsen.cn.china.cn/supply/4628535510.html

1 Like

Thanks for that.

The operating temperature (工作温度) is listed at 25 °C. I very much doubt the temperature at the position it operates in remains below 25 °C.

Anybody who’s had one of these fail because of temperature should make the claim that this is a designed-in defect and should be covered under a perpetual warranty.

Could the 25°C be the reason the bedleveling is done at roomtemp and not at operational temp as the sensor would ‘melt’?

I did some research on similar inductive proximity sensors/switches. There are not that many available that look similar to that (except some green, blue or differently colored one).

The 25°C operation temperature is most likely not the operation temperature range. I would guess that this is more like -20…+70°C. It is probably safe to assume that the test and calibration conditions were 25°C (room temperature; a quite usual reference value) for which you will obtain the closest absolute results compared to the other values provided. For the bed leveling algorithm used by Snapmaker this is probably not really critical as you are left with the final, absolute positioning anyway. What you really need is good repeatability under the same environment conditions to get a good idea about the deformation of your print surface.

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t assume that. I double-checked that page again. There’s only one temperature listed anywhere on there, and it’s not a range. I couldn’t find a full spec sheet in PDF, either, which might have had a complete set of environmental parameters. Maybe such a sheet exists; maybe it doesn’t.

If the part were from the US, Europe, Japan, or elsewhere with a mature electronics industry that runs on specifications and parts expected to meet them, I might think a 70 °C operating ceiling could be expected, since that’s the conventional ceiling for non-milspec parts. But I’m not going to believe it without documentation on this part.

@Edwin would you be able to provide any information about the operating temperatures for the proximity sensor?

I also checked the site again. There is an datasheet attached as image.

So it’s at least -25…+70°C.

OK. Thanks. I’m not used at all to anything but PDF for data sheets. As an image, I can’t copy-paste those two characters before the -40 to 85 range into a translator; I can’t even make out the second character. Anybody know?

Given just how close that sensor is to the hot end, though, even 70 or 85 °C may not be high enough for long-term use.

You could use Google translator for Android and scan the image for translation.

I used a simple OCR translator:

The second temperature range is the storage temperature range. The numbers got a bit messed up…

When you say “Machined my carriage”, did you skim the spider frame? How much did you have to take off?

on the web page it says:

Repeat accuracy: 0.04mm

I finally have an answer to my how good is the sensor - pretty good?