Anyone Happy with Artisan

About “the wedge”. I couldn’t see my extruder loosening when i checked after a failed print, however i would still like to try this. I printed the wedges, but i cant get them in. If i try to press in anymore, something will break definitely. am i doing something wrong?

These rubber pads are probably already installed when the Artisan was last delivered. I think then the wedges have no more place.

Your filament runout sensor will break. Apparently it gets bent out of whack, but it’s difficult to take apart the head to fix it, and Snapmaker pretty much ignores the issue.

Mine broke in a month

1 Like

I think the key question is “what’s your expectation”? If you want an out-of-the-box solution that ‘just works’, then no, the Artisan (or likely any Snapmaker) is probably not for you. This is a complex and finicky maker’s tool that took me several hours to set up and more than a week to calibrate. And you know what? That’s pretty par for the course. Even outside of the problems with the initial production run (looking at you, dual extruder), you’ll often be tweaking print settings to find what works for you on a day-to-day, filament-to-filament basis. I look at this as the nature of the industry as it currently exists more than a hit against Snapmaker or the Artisan.

I’ve definitely had issues, both related to the current state of the product and my ramping up my own knowledge of it. Having said that, I’ve been pretty happy with the responsiveness of support and the level of transparency around the early issues with the unit and what’s required to deal with them.

If you’re willing to spend time with it and learn its quirks, you can make great things. But it will require that attention to get reasonable quality out of it.

1 Like

We love our Artisan…been using for about a year, and love the flexibility of the various capabilities. Like you, we prefer our Flashforge Adventurer 3 for pure 3D printing. But, for producing personalized gifts such as etched drinking glasses, Yeti’s, cutting boards, lighted glass pictures, this is an amazing machine.
Attached a photo of some of our work…we love the machine!

2 Likes

in one word : NO
that door safety mechanism is frustrating, does not work properly, always get the error message door open, impossible to start the laser . and firmware does not let you bypass it. this is a toy for kids
I am extremely frustrated with the quality issues and stil after 10 days try and XX exchanges with support and replacement of the door switch the result still is 0. and the exhauster does not work,
so I can give you no advice on the machine itself because of the enclosure problems I never could go to work until now
michel

You’re really grumpy. Do you feel better?

2 Likes

Received and assembled my Artisan the last week.
So far i really love it. The processing of the parts, the documentation and the quality of the results are outstanding compared to other 3D printers i had before.

Yes, it might not be the fastest if it comes to 3D printing. But i am not that much interested in high-speed printing (sold mine after six months again. speed is not everything).

So far everything works as expected, even the software is better than i thought based on several reviews and user comments.

so, in one ord to your question: YES!

1 Like

The last time I owned a 3D printer was from the early days of 3D printing when 9 in 10 prints would result in failure and/or complete destruction of the machine.

Compared to that I am very happy with the Artisan’s 3D printing functionality but I haven’t used other top 3D printers. From what I hear from those who have, dedicated 3D printers are usually faster and better, but there is some sacrifice to be expected for having 3 functions in 1.

I’ve also used lasers before. This is my first diode laser. For the most part I’m okay with the laser functionality, but the major weakness here is the software. Luban is terrible and you can basically do nothing with it (laser-wise – its 3D printing functions are pretty decent). That wouldn’t be a problem if we could use 3rd party software like Lightburn. Some people have gotten it working but in my experience the process to do so is incredibly convoluted, and recent updates have broken a lot. There is not good enough support for Lightburn.

The CNC function is the only thing I don’t really have previous experience with. So I can’t really complain about it too much since a lot of my struggles are just due to my own learning curve with operating a CNC. I do wish there was better documentation on how to do a CNC job with multiple toolpaths from Fusion 360, and that the tool change part was better documented.

In summary, Snapmaker is the best/only 3-in-1 solution on the market, so if that is the primary draw you don’t really have a choice. If you have space and money for 3 dedicated machines, go for the 3 dedicated machines. I however am in a workshop about the size of half a 1 car garage and most of that space is taken up with other things so the Snapmaker is my only option. I am decently happy with it. And I’m cognizant that this hobby requires a bit of elbow grease sometimes to get even basic functionality working. It’s not really plug and play for everything yet (though the industry is getting there).

I hate it! I never got the 3D printer working right, never had a successful print. Many of the same issues others have complained about with the printer. The Luban software does not talk to the hardware module on the machine during laser cutting. I’ve had successful cuts, but then it’s like it “forgets” what it’s doing and I have to spend over an hour getting it to figure out the boundary and the material size. I would return it if I could. I just want to design and make my stuff, not spend hours of my day babying this machine.

Meanwhile my Laser was tested, i also swapped the 10W Module with the 40W Module.

This is a beast compared to the 10W device, it doesn’t take any prisoners and you have to know what you are doing

Laser on glass works perfect for me with some preparations and i never had issues so far like Kathy.