Add on a high powe laser head?

I am recently trying to cut some 5/32’’ (4.5 mm) maple plywood with the laser head. I have tried various configurations but the best result was cut through about 3.8 mm, and it took nearly 10 hours.
Since there is no clear information about the 10W/7W native laser module recently, I start to think about whether it is possible to add a high-power laser module to the existing SM2.
My idea is to purchase a 40w/80w fixed-focus diode laser module (I saw some on Aliexpress, they seem pretty small and come with a driver and power supply). 3D print a bracket to hang it on the existing SM2 laser head. Turn down the SM2 laser power and manually, turn on the additional laser module while cutting.
I have seen some people talk about high-power lasers on SM2 but I can’t find an existing bracket design. This makes me suspect that there may be some stupid mistakes in my assumption that will lead to serious accidents, but I am not sure what it is.
I’m not sure if this kind of add-on is theoretically possible, I would be very grateful if anyone can give me some advice.
If I am talking stupid and offends you, I am very sorry. I did not have any experience with laser cutting before SM2.

10w is coming out November19

2 Likes

Sure it’s theoretically possible. The controller sends out PWM (modulated power signal) and enable commands, it would probably be best to intercept those and run them through a new middleware controller to control the new laser (pretty much exactly like is done now on the toolhead)

1 Like

This is very exciting, I think I need to reconsider whether I need a laser with more than 10W.

Thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately, I don’t have a background in electronics, I will look forward to someone who can share the definition of SM2 cable pins. I will probably fix the purchased Laser module directly on the mounting plate of the X axis, while maintaining the connection between the SM2 laser module and the machine. Although I will lose the camera capture function, it is easier for me lol.