40W laser came brand new with loose level screw?

Sorry guys first post and brand new to snapmaker in general. Been 3d printing for years but brand new to both laser and CNC.

I went big when I ordered the artisan with rotary and 40w.

So I’ve had the artisan for a couple months and the 40W laser finally came in this week. REALLY wish the tool head quick change plate was included, instead of it being a total after thought, but that’s not why I am here actually. Opened the box today and the screw/knob that I think is for leveling (probably won’t terminology) the laser was loose in the box and there is no place for me to screw it back in.

There seems to be a small metal plate loose under the body/housing that is moving around which I assume this thing is supposed to screw into. But after tilting this thing at every angle possible, I am unable to get it to reveal any screw hole for me to install this loose knob.

I am afraid to take this brand new expensive thing apart (and absolutely shouldn’t have to honestly) because I know there are many lenses/mirrors inside and I do not want to mess anything up. Usually I’m all in on tearing into things to fix them. But this has me a little nervous.

So far my snapmaker experience in general has been pretty “meh” at best. But I’m willing to tinker to get things working.

Has anyone else run into this, or have any advice?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me, screw was loose in box, metal slid inside module. I think it vibrated itself loose in transit. I had exactly the same thoughts and doubts you had, and was frankly quite annoyed that such an expensive part of equipment came in the state…

But I was eager to test it, I took some photos of the module in the state it was delivered, and then very carefully opened up the bottom cover by unscrewing the four screws. Then I could move the metal into position for the slider screw hole to be accessible.

There were no sensitive parts of the module exposed during that operation, the main body was still hidden inside more metal housing, and the module has been working fine so far, and zhe cutting power in contrast to the 10W is amazing!

One caveat, as you may have read, the firmware has a bug that screws up laser positioning on transferred Goode files (e:g. from Lifhtburn), unless you’re using Luban only, you need to use direct control via connected PC.

Good luck and have fun!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Glad I’m not the only one. Yeah maybe a little blue thread locker would keep that thing from vibrating loose during transit.

Alrighty I’ll go ahead and open it up and fix it since the sensitive bits are hidden deeper. Might take and post some pics for the next guy.

And that’s good to know, as I was most likely going to use lightburn, already bought it. Haven’t been a huge fan of luban so far on the 3d printing side, figured it would be similar on the laser side too. Haven’t tried CNC yet. It’s not bad software, just pretty basic and lacking at this current stage still.

Update: yeah, easy fix!

Remove the 4 screws holding the bottom cover on, and move the wires out of the travel path of the Z height adjustment thing, and it slid right out. I applied some blue thread locker to keep it from vibrating out again. Pics attached to show just how easy it is. Just gotta have the right bit.

2 Likes