3D Printing Foodsafe

Hi All,

I couldn’t find any information about whether the materials used in the 2.0 3d Printer module are foodsafe. Can I make items that myself or a pet will eat from?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! I know with my previous 3d printer I looked at printing items that would come in contact with food and was advised not to, not because of the PLA or ABS rather the metals that the hot end were made from.

I was curious if anyone had the same concern of there was information concerning the hot end of the SM2.0.

Thanks again!

Yes, as noted in the article, brass nozzles may contain lead. Better to replace and be sure

Awesome! Much appreciated!

The amount of lead that could possibly come off the nozzle (which would have such a small percentage of lead to begin with) and then come off the item from the filament to the user has to be almost non-existent.
But probably better to be safe.
Check that your filament is food safe. Most PETG is.
The biggest danger with a lot of 3d printed items is that the layers can harbor bacteria that can’t be properly eliminated.
Lastly with pets, 3d printed items won’t stand up to chewing and could present a choking hazard.
-S

It’ll never be certified as food-safe, for sure, so I’d use common sense. It should be safe to use something printed from a food-safe plastic (you can get PLA and PETG that are explicitly certified as such) for dry foods like kibble if your pet is not a bowl-chewer (likewise for dry foods for humans—nuts, chips, ham sandwiches . . .).

If it’s in contact with wet foods, like @sdj544 says, there is a possible bacteria issue and I’d disinfect it regularly, or just not take the risk. Or consider lining it with something that is guaranteed food safe—frex, design a 3D printed pet bowl that fits around a store-purchased bowl.