2 different materials in copy/mirror mode possible?

Hi,

is it possible to print with two materials in Cura? In my case PLA and PETG. They have the same bed temperature and can theoretically be printed parallel.
If I enable the second, right extruder, the machines uses the settings from the left, too.

Many thanks.

Good morning,

Of course it works, otherwise the whole thing makes little sense

https://www.printables.com/de/social/503101-i3_sven/models

do this almost every day.

I think you didn’t understand. Read the title again.

BR

Auch das geht, dann habe ich mich falsch ausgedrĂŒckt.
Nur musst Du dann in Slicer die Temperaturen vorab schon anpassen.
Das jeweilige Material hat ja seine eigenen Einstellungen, Extruder Links und Extruder Rechts.
Einfach ausprobieren, dann wirst Du schon sehen, was der J1 alles kann

Wenn ich ein Objekt in Cura habe, den Zweiten Extruder mit der korrekten Temperatur aktiviere und dann am Drucker den copy mode starte, ĂŒbernimmt er nicht die Temperatur aus Cura sondern die des Hauptextruders.
Was muss ich einstellen, damit ein kopiertes Modell die richtigen Extrudereinstellungen hat?

Am einfachsten ist es, wenn Du in Cura das Modell spiegelst, also zwei Modelle auf dem Druckbett.
Du musst dann halt nur darauf achten, dass beide Modelle auf der gleichen Höhe sind.

Oder in Luban, das mĂŒsste eigentlich die festgelegten Filamente und Temperaturen ĂŒbernehmen.
Bin mir aber gerade auch nicht sicher

Ich Drucke gerade, daher kann ich es gerade nicht anwenden.

Exakt - technisch wird “Copy” und “Mirror” am Drucker so gelöst sein, daß jeglicher Positions-Gcode mit einem Offset versehen und bei Mirror die X-Bewegung gespiegelt und ansonsten alles andere ĂŒbernommen wird. Das Mainboard des Druckers hat meines Erachtens einfach nicht genug Rechenpower, um mal so eben on the fly wĂ€hrend eines laufenden Drucks weitere Berechnungen durchzufĂŒhren. Demzufolge mĂŒssen komplexere Sachen vom Slicer nun mal vorgekaut werden.

Daher sollte man meines Erachtens auch aufpassen, daß fĂŒr einen “Copy”- oder “Mirror”-Druck der Filamentdurchmesser bei beiden Rollen weitgehend gleich ist.

Exactly - technically, “Copy” and “Mirror” should be solved on the printer in such a way that any positioning Gcode gets an offset added and, in the case of Mirror, the X-movement is mirrored. Everything else is taken as it is. In my opinion, the printer’s mainboard simply does not have enough computing power to perform further calculations on the fly during a print. Consequently, more complex things have to be prepared by the slicer.

Therefore, you malso should take care that the filament diameter is more or less the same for both filament rolls if you do a “copy” or “mirror” print.

1 Like

Er muss nichts berechnen, sondern soll einfach nur Flow und Temperatur anders setzen

Alles was aus Cura kommt, druckt er doch hintereinander?

Du musst fĂŒr jeden Extruder ein Profil anlegen. Wenn du fĂŒr 1 und 2 in Cura das gleiche nimmst ĂŒberschreibt nicht Cura sondern der J1 die Einstellungen.

Sollte das nicht klappen beide Modelle in den Slicer und je einem Teil einen kopf und das Profil mit dem Material sowie die Einstellungen zuweisen.

Kopieren oder Spiegeln ansich nimmt IMMER die Einstellung des Hauptextruders fĂŒr den 2. Das ist in Marlin so hinterlegt. das sagt der Name ja schon, es ist nur eine Kopie.

Du kannst auch 2, oder mehr Komplett verschiedene teile mit 2 verschiedenen Materialien drucken, das geht nur im Normalen Modus ohne Copy. Aber rein mit der Kopier oder Mirror Funktion wird immer die Einstellung fĂŒr Extruder 1 an 2 ĂŒbertragen.

You have to create a profile for each extruder. If you take the same for 1 and 2 in Cura, not Cura but the J1 overwrites the settings.

If that doesn’t work, put both models in the slicer and assign a head to each part and the profile with the material and the settings.

Copying or mirroring ALWAYS takes the setting of the main extruder for the 2nd one. That’s how it’s stored in Marlin. And that Say What it is, just a Copy.

1 Like

Well so the easiest way ist to start with the wrong extruder and adapt temperature and flow in the settings.

I just tell you how easy it is to print 2 parts with other Materials and settings :wink:

Put the model twice in the slicer, assign an extruder to each part, make settings in each extruder, select the material and you’re done

Das Modell 2x in den Slicer, jedem Teil ein extruder zuweisen, Einstellungen in jedem extruder machen, Material wÀhlen und fertig

But Not parallel!?
Its about time saving

It’s only Possible if the Parts are the same.
Better to use Luban for this and not Cura.
If you set on Cura you don’t can Choose the Printing mode. If you use Cura you have to chose them on the J1 if you start the Print. And at this moment he override the settings from 2. Extruder if he start the copy or mirror mode

So in Luban you put the part on plate, select mirror or copy.
Select your first extruder that you want to use.
Select your material for extruder and it goes

The reason is, on Luban you have material settings seperate from print settings so you make your configuration for your material with your settings how u want to print and it will be stored in the filament setting.

If you chose them now and set it to extruder 2, the printer will use this material and this saved settings for the common print

OK thanks for this helpful information.
After a long decition I chose Cura, because the current version of Luban is every else than ready to work with. The buttons do not work (support e.g), there are no shortcuts, no seach function, supports do not work (except tree) etc

Thanks anyway, maybe its getting better soon.

I’m no pro in cura or prusaslicer since my last printer i used simplify3d. But a tested both of them and i must say prusaslicer is way better. There are some easy steps to get started with mcgybeers latest setup and the smfix from mcdylan, but thats easy if you read the instructions carefully.

I recommend you give it a try, i have printed almost perfect from day one.

I love the PS and do everything else with it, but it’s quite complicated even with the profiles and there seem to be some crashes, too. For eg why do some profiles have a start and stop g code and others don’t. Then the upload is only available since this weekend

Did you have the results with PS or Luban?

On my Luban support works. I don’t have issues until the missing option and functions.
The Printer runs smoother with the Luban, but if it’s updated I will more use Cura. The butter makes bit more moves but I have most settings I need.

But I miss on both more option for dual color prints and selections

I have only used mcgybeers profiles with L/R nozzels for PLA and then made my own profiles for other materials from them. No crashes for me yet in software or hardware, but so far only tested dual color, normal one nozzle and copy mode. I only transfer files via USB.

Regards

Ah nice!
But then you already tested the most options, right?
Maybe I will give it another try

Yes it’s only backup mode and mirror mode i haven’t tested. And also i will start testing with pva support and nylon