User guide or tutorial for luban software?

I just bought my Snapmaker 2.0 A350 yesterday. I was amazed by the packaging and sturdy construction of the product and high quality Quick Start Guide. Then I spent two hours fumbling around with the Luban Software with no help at all. I have to agree, not having a software manual really lets the product down.

This is particularly surprising considering the incredible effort Snapmaker have made to produce such a high quality product and Quick Start Guide. Why produce a product that is 99% perfect when you have shown that you are capable of 100%? It doesnā€™t need to be a printed manual; just an online manual would do.

No YouTube video or 3rd party tutorial can ever go into every detail about a software package. Leaving it to the user community to create their own YouTube tutorials and figure it out for themselves just sends out all the wrong messages about your company. Just when I thought Snapmaker stood out from the crowdā€¦

Sorry to criticize in my first post, but I believe Snapmaker need to wake up and pay attention to this.

8 Likes

Poor reply. about the first thing a proper progarmmer will produce is a user manual. Or do you just start putting code together from the top of your head?

I have to agree with several others that a user manual is needed. There doesnā€™t even seem to be any documentation on the web site for Luban. I just downloaded and installed it (even though I donā€™t own a Snapmaker yet). I opened it, but I have no idea where to start. I wanted to import some files in jpg, png or svg format to see what I could do with them, but I donā€™t see any way to import graphics files, The ā€œOpen fileā€ dialog only lets you open ā€˜ncā€™ or similar files. When I clicked on ā€œUser Manual & FAQā€ in the top right of the screen, it took me to the support page on their web site, but no user manual. The videos all seem to be about using the hardware; Luban is only mentioned in passing.

Best there is (for laser, there are others for other processes): Snapmaker 2.0 Laser V1.0.0 ā€“ Snapmaker

2 Likes

Thanks! I just noticed that ā€œAddā€ button myself and tried it. I would have expected to find it under the ā€œFileā€ menu, though, as ā€œImport fileā€ or something.

I also saw that the source code is in Github, so I checked the repository to see if there was any documentation there, but I couldnā€™t find any. I donā€™t know if the developers of Luban are connected directly to Snapmaker. Maybe Iā€™m ā€œbarking up the wrong treeā€.

1 Like

Hello,
As for the manual of Luban, it will come with the 3.16.0 Luban version.
We are working hard on this and it will be available soon. Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, Tracy, the Luban manual will be a big step in the right direction.

Regards,

Tim

I am having a super difficult time in finding the simplest answer.
Can I create a simple drawing in Luban?
When I open the program it starts with the 3D box to add an already created item to. Does Luban not have the ability to create a 3D item?

For CNC & laser you can create simple shapes and text.
For 3d you need to use another program.
Tinkercad is one of the simplest (and free) 3d programs that you can use to create an object and then export an stl.

-S

1 Like

For 3D Printing it appears to be just a method of getting the Gcode to the printer (yes and generating from other formats).
Not quite what I expected, given the price and the "isnā€™t this wonderful simple software to get you up and running " markteing hype.
The fact that itā€™s then not explained at all is complete rubbish. Maybe to prolong the moment until you find out itā€™s not that capable after all. OK, 3d design software is complex to produce but I didnā€™t buy this printer just to print things downloaded from e.g. thingiverse, I bought it to solve my problems, which will need parts designed. Iā€™d have much preferred to know I needed to obtain/buy software as well as part of the purchase decision.
Frankly itā€™s a let down for me.