Used snapmaker original

Hi everyone:) I have purchased a used snap maker original and I would like to pause the program to change the filament. Can this be done??

Its would be very difficult to do so.
It is maybe possible but you have to tinker in the gcode.

M600 code does not work

In theory, you could insert some movement codes that does a very slow movement forward and back and lasts a minute. The Original is manually loaded, so you can push the load button, and pull and push the filament any time you want, if you can keep up with the head moving.

Iā€™d practice load and unloading though. It can be tricky to load. I have to make sure the filament is perfectly straight for about 6" / 15cm, and trimmed to have a point towards the front of the print head. Thatā€™s my most reliable way to load, and it still usually takes me two attempts.

I wish the display had layer information on it. Thereā€™s plenty of room on the percentage bar for layer n / N. The percentage indicator is done entirely by bytes (50% is half way through the file, but not necessarily half way through the print time). So if you do insert a slow movement, make a note of the byte locations versus total file size to get the percent location of your change. Percentage is only whole numbers, so a print with more than 100 layers wonā€™t get an percent for each layer. The slow movement would tip you off that itā€™s time to change the filament, as long as youā€™re paying close attention.

As far as Iā€™m aware, nobody has figured out how to build and package an Original custom firmware. The code is available in the forums as a .zip download. It was never uploaded to github.

Edit: I originally said the filament was trimmed to have a point to the rear. But then I tried it again, and realized I trim to have a point towards the front of the print head.

I find it easier to load since I installed a flexible filament guide piece in the print head. Bit fiddly to do, but fills a bit of the space where the filament could curve into and get off path.
It helps stop flexible filament bunching up in the void inside the head (I had some Silk PLA that was doing this), but also helps with non-flex filament.
(I printed one from PLA and itā€™s been fine for a couple of years now)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3062228/

I donā€™t recall ever seeing anyone change filaments on the original mid-print.

Nice. Iā€™ve occasionally printed some polypropylene, and it will on occasion coil up inside the print head instead of going out of the nozzle. I was thinking I should do something about that. If it makes loading filament easier, even better.

I havenā€™t attempted this trick, but I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t work. Thereā€™s no filament sensor on the Original to cause trouble.

It is possible and I do it all the time. To the best of my knowledge Luban does not directly support this but Cura Slicer does. See extensions and an easy option to add a filament change at the appropriate level. Most slicers allow you to scroll up and down and see how the printer builds the 3D print. So you would scroll to find the exact layer where you want to change the filament and add enter the layer number and click okay. However you must remember to go back and delete the filament change or it will stay for all future prints and get annoying.
On the other hand you can easily edit the gcode and the slicers almost always have nice comments in the code telling you what layer you are on. Using either NOTEPAD or NOTEPAD++ you can easily add the filament change code. This is where you have to understand your printer. Your printer will either take a M600 or M602 command. Snapmaker supports the M602 command and I use it all the time. Just make a beautiful print with 3 colors and it was a piece of cake.
The next issue in Gcode is that each manufacturer decides which gcode commands to support and which to not support along with how to support the commands. Personally I would really like to find a manufacturer that supports the M117 command which puts out a message to the LCD screen. In this example ā€œM117 Filament change requested please load the black filamentā€. You could also note the color, filament type, etc. Unfortunately Snapmaker totally blew the M602 command implementation and did not really understand it. Snapmaker puts out a message that you ran out of filament implying that you encountered a HARDWARE issue instead of properly indicating that your gcode software has a user proper SOFTWARE command for a filament change and that is a totally different concept that they confused. Furthermore SNAPMAKER does NOT support the M117 command facilitating communications with the user as to what your current situation is and what is the appropriate action required at any point.
Finally I would strongly encourage people to learn just enough to do simple editing of your gcode. This will help immensely. I generally put a module header from my template into the gcode to identifying the author, project, date, subpart, objective, design software, slicer, material, version of the part, etc. This can be enormously helpful down the road when you need to find and reuse a part.

1 Like

This thread is about snapmaker original, did you notice?

Sorry. I am working around the clock and missed the ā€œOriginalā€ in the title. It did not appear elsewhere to the best of my knowledge. In general all the rest of my point are on point and I believe helpful.