Upgraded 200W CNC

I was looking at the Snapmaker GitHub while pulling the latest changes into my branch, and in the Snapmaker2-Modules git I noticed the following:

References to the bigger A400 printer have been around for some time, but this is the first time I see a 200W CNC module mentioned. Has there been any official news regarding this module yet?

No nothing.

From what I and other users have found with our own experimentation, the current design of the linear rails canā€™t handle any more power than the current cnc. It would require substantial upgrades and modifications. These mods are doable and have been discussed extensively in other threads.

-S

Indeed, I have seen those threads as well. Quite surprised to see them working on a 200W CNC given the rail issues, I thought the issues were the reason why the attachment for the heavier router was cancelled. Perhaps the code change is just for internal testing purposes.

Oh, but I really would love a more hefty spindle! 200W is a bit on the low side even - was hoping for the 750W they showed past then in the live streamā€¦

Just speculation of course, but some code in Luban implies it will be specifically for the new A400. Perhaps it will have a different type of linear rails:

As others pointed out: stronger spindle would require a more robust construction in places - so who knows? Perhaps the A400 will introduce a different X-axis, which may even be put to a A350? Speculations, speculations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use a 400w spindle on my a350. Some upgrades are mandatory but itā€™s a fun project to do.

6 Likes

Can you send me information on those rails you have added to the Y axis, please?

Sure :slight_smile:
The original concept is from Eugene Fedorov and you will find everything about it (and all the modifications that iā€™ve made) on facebook in the ā€œsnapmaker official ownerā€ group. Search for Eugene Fedorov and Sebastien Deux Vagues in there.

1 Like

Is the information available to those who refuse to use Facebook?

1 Like

Here is a copy of the post from Eugene Fedorov on Facebook. He originaly has designed those attachments for the X axis.

From there the setup is kinda the same for all axis. You just need sometime to mirror the STLs before printing them.

(This is just about about the rails. Tell me if you are also interrested in double X axis and bigger spindle supports. I will elaborate.)

The link for the STL files:
https://drive.google.com/ā€¦/1TpdMedvLHZc99wNEBKQtY71NdZoā€¦

The link for the rail (MGN9C 350mm for A250, 450mm for A350):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000264234020.html

Please note that the Pad width serves as adjustment parameter (the attached file has 4.5 mm wide Pad)
You will need also metric (M4 and M3) bolts and nuts.
Leave a gap between long and short fixtures, it serves to access the bolts for changing the toolhead.

1 Like

I am extremely interested. Please elaborate. Looks amazing!

Sorry, I dont think it tagged you above.

I would like to learn maore of the double X axis. And what did you use as the spindle. Seeing if it is cheaper upgrading myself or just buying the bew Artisan. Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to run your setup and maybe add 2 of the new snapmaker bracing kits. More information would be amazing.