Any update on estimated timeframe for new linear rails?

We are supposedly pretty close to when the new rails are going to be available, the closer we get we should be able to get information on an estimated date of when they will be available. Any news @Edwin ?

2 Likes

Watching as interested too

1 Like

@Edwin any word?

1 Like

Iā€™m watching for info on this too.

Hello, the silent linear module will be produced massively in July. It can be purchased in the online store in Aug or Sept. Stay tuned. :slight_smile:

@Tracy Holy cow thatā€™s a ways off of the planned mark. Mustā€™ve hit some snags during testing. Thanks for the update! Iā€™m ok to wait a little longer if it means making sure theyā€™re good to go.

Will the new rails be available as a part of new SM 2.0 machine purchases at the same time?

@JonnieCache yes, possibly even shortly prior to them showing up on the Snapmaker store. But there will be mixed stock of printers so it may be completely random if you get the new rails or not.

I would think you up your chances of getting the new ones if you order directly from Snapmaker. Thereā€™s no telling when distributors ordered their current stock and how long theyā€™ve had it.

Hopefully Snapmaker follows the common rule of thumb of ā€œfirst made first soldā€, I donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t.

Tanks @Artezio. I think Iā€™m going to wait to purchase until there is confirmation of the new rails (and quieter power supply) are fully in production. Given the cost of purchasing the upgraded parts, it seems like we are too close to launch for it to make sense otherwise.

@JonnieCache yeah, good idea. As far as the PSU goes, we havenā€™t even heard about itā€™s progress and is still listed as ā€œwork in progressā€ on the public roadmap. Itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess when that will be released. To put it in perspective, the linear module has been listed as nearly complete since April, was supposed to be released in June but I guess they hit a couple snags rolling it out and got delayed. The power module hasnā€™t even hit this stage yet.

@Artezio Oh thatā€™s a bummer. I have heard that a lot of companies have been having trouble with their supply chain. Maybe Iā€™ll spring for it once the rails are in, but can get the power supply later when it comes out. Iā€™m guessing the rails are more expensive than the replacement power supply.

@JonnieCache yeah the pandemic has really janked up the supply chain. The rails are by far more expensive, the PSU is only one thing. The new rails, you would need a minimum of 3, x and y I think, as they are not compatible with the old ones. On rail is similar in cost to the PSU probably.

@Artezio Thatā€™s very helpful information! Thank you!

@MooseJuice @scyto I had previously been told via email that they were going into mass production mid to late June. This was in the first week of June that this communication happened. Next thing I know, they reply here saying itā€™s going into production in July or August. And can purchase in August or September. Then they suddenly had the Air Filter show up on the homepage right after they told me it would be in production in June. I kinda feel lied to, NGL.

It doesnā€™t bother me that the air filter is coming out. Itā€™s probably unrelated anyhow. I just donā€™t like it when people arenā€™t straight with me. The time between being told June, then July for production was literally like a couple days. @Tracy seems to always give more straight forward and more accurate answers, which is much appreciated!

It doesnt surprise me that you didnt get reliable info from them about the topic. For the past very long time its just been a pipe dream in the clouds so im kind of surprised its finally coming to fruition.

Is this air filter supposed to be enough to not need to exhaust outdoors?

@MooseJuice should still be used in conjunction with each other in my opinion. I think the air filter is to circumvent the fact that the enclosure is far from air tight

Whether the enclosure is air tight or not makes no difference for using a filter or exhausting outside. If anything having it not be air tight (provided that the fan is moving sufficient air) allows the fan to draw more air out.

I would assume that they intend for it to be used in lieu of exhausting to the outdoors.
Weā€™ll have to wait and see the design, but Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a combination of a hepa-type filter for particulates and an active carbon for fumes. Whether itā€™s actually sufficiently designed is another story. Carbon needs to be changed regularly to insure itā€™s effectiveness. Determining when to change it is another problem.

-S

@sdj544 i did say ā€œI thinkā€ :wink:

@sdj544

I was browsing through all source code today, I saw coding for sensors inside the air filter that will alert you when to change, it also has a ā€œlife meterā€ for it.

1 Like

Bumping this to ask if there is any new info

1 Like