Terrible stringing

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change my profile to address stringing(Cura), i’ve adjusted all the retraction(and temp) settings and i can’t get a single stringing tower test to print with any level of quality. The luban profiles do the same thing. Looking around the forums others don’t seem to have the same issue as me. i’ve cut and reseated the filament each time to make sure there’s no extruder marks, i’ve used different quality filaments. Maybe there’s a setting i’m missing in cura but the stringing is abysmal. Is this a tech support issue? it’s a new printer that’s never printed well.

Hi there. Stringing is often problematic because there’s so many things that can cause it, and the Luban settings don’t let you control some of them.

There’s plenty of topics in the Snapmaker 2 forum, and since you previously mentioned you have an A350, it would be good to look through there. I summarized a lot of the initial steps I took, including retraction and z-hop testing to minimize stringing in this post:

In the meantime, here’s a short list of things I can think to check. I’ll list what mine is currently set to, but don’t take that as gospel, yours may likely be different.

• Temp: 205C it looks like yours may be too hot, try adding some thermal compound to the hot end’s thermistor - it may be reporting the wrong value and printing too hot. At least try dropping the temperture 10C or 20C or so and seeing if the prints improve.
  • Retraction / Z-hop: 1mm@60mm/s, .5mm
  • Print speed: 40ish mm/s
  • Minimum layer time: 5 to 15 seconds
  • Linear advance, acceleration can affect it.
  • As you mentioned filament age / moisture content.
  • Cooling - try a desk fan next to the printer, see if that changes anything

Just for comparison’s sake, here’s what a decent looking stringing test tower can look like:

It doesn’t have to be perfect when you’re done tuning, but at least the core spike should be better.

unfortunately everything you have said i’ve already tried as i’ve been playing with it over the past several days. I’m pretty familiar with the settings since i have an ender 3, nothing i do seems to move the needle much. The last print was(the pink one) was very similar to what you’ve suggested but at 190 degrees.

Hmm, well clearly something is wrong. Hopefully someone else can offer something else.

Have you read this?
FDM 3D Printer Assessment - Pillar looks terrible

Yeah I have thanks. My theory is my thermal sensor is way hosed. I’ll take it apart and get it correct before moving forward with settings more

That is what my problem was when I first got my machine. I recommend some good thermal paste and making sure it is seated as far into the block as possible. Some people had issues with the wires being too short. but I thought they fixed that by now as I haven’t heard about it in a while.

so this has went from bad to worse, tried the thermal paste fix on the thermistor, had thermal runaway, quickly shut it off. Decided that one might be defective so tried the backup that came with the unit. Now the printer is always reporting a crazy high temperature and nothing works anymore, can’t even home the motors.

That’s unfortunate. Sounds like you need to contact support.

1 Like

if your reading super high temps, even when the hot end is not heated, it would be an indication that your thermistor is shorted. i agree with Brent you should contact support. support@snapmaker.com

agree i think the thermistor shorted, wouldn’t be too hard even if it got twisted slightly being put back in

This printer is incredibly frustrating, i have several open tickets to support that go unanswered. I can’t believe some of the design decisions. And now it looks like for the moment, mine is just a paperweight.

1 Like