SUNLU PETG - Advice needed

Hey,

I’ve been trying to get a roll of SUNLU PETG (Black) printing, it performs well in every regard and was easy to get calibrated for size/temperature/bed adhesion…But it strings like hell. It’s also pretty fresh out of the package, just did calibration prints so far.

I’ve tried retraction values of 0-8mm at 60mm/s (0.25mm intervals in case it was just a really specific range) with no deviation in terms of quality for any of them, simply every single layer pulls a thin string across seemingly any gap. (should probably make a video it’s like the “cheese” in pizza ads when they pull the slice away)

Any ideas what to try to reduce this stringing? It’s enough where I can’t even burn it off with a heat gun (coughheat raycough) as it just clumps up on the print.

Here’s a place to start, other than #1 which you’ve already done.

cool, the 2nd step is increasing travel speed. Any idea what the SM2 can handle in terms of travel speed?

9000mm/minute is the max.

In practice for short travels that speed won’t be reached and it will be limited by the maximum acceleration and deceleration. That is the fast travel speed that elsewhere in the forum staff confirmed as the maximum that won’t skip steps. I’ve been using it as the fast travel speed for lasering with success.

RIP, I’m up to 10800mm/minute

Guess I’ll stop bumping that up XD

yeah I found it can travel faster but if you take precise distance measurements it doesn’t always travel the correct distance

I also dropped temp to the lowest the filament claims to support.

Well dropped temps as low as I could and still extrude, and travelled as fast deemed safe with retraction on and off with and without z hop.

For fun I also tried a test with it at the max suggested temperature. I’ll try any other suggestions but am pre-emptively labelling this reel: “TRAVEL BANNED”.

I don’t have a great dehydrating solution for filament (I need to get one soon) but that’s the next step I can think to try.

Let me know if ya’ll come up with anything else, and thanks for the suggestions @brent113 !

1 Like

Dehydrating is a good idea. Toaster oven or just the regular oven can work with the door cracked I think, would have to look up the recommended temperatures.

I have kids/toddlers running around, the oven stays sealed lol.

1 Like