Snapmaker Academy: Make a paper silhouette lamp with Inkscape

Hi makers,

My collogue Wylie recently made a video tutorial on how to make a paper silhouette lamp with Inkscape. The lamp is stunning and looks awesome in the dark. Check out this short video tutorial on how to make one yourself!

Click here for the full tutorial.

17 Likes

Any help sourcing the light used in this project? I have been all over Amazon, ebay, and google itself and all the lights I have found are like 20-60ft long. This project seems to need like… 8" sections…

Most LED strips can be cut (every 2 to 3 inches/ 5-7cm typically, depending on the type of strip). You can then connect the separate segments using normal electrical wires. This requires soldering. Although clip-on connectors do exist if you don’t want to do that.

I can appreciate the DIY attitude, but it appeared that the item from the video was a premade solution, which is great when I just want or need to create a single box like this.

Going your route, I would waste a bit of money and a lot of material to get the smaller lights, likely tossing 18’ or more into the trash. Additionally, these only come with the wiring for a single unit, so now I need more connections to power each segment, and a soldering iron, and whatever else is needed.

I wasn’t looking to make a production company of these things, especially when trying to get a feel for the capabilities of the SnapMaker and making decisions about what I will enjoy building.

I will keep looking over the weekend. Surely hobby stores have smaller kits for shadow boxes or something.

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for our not:

https://www.amazon.com/acrylic-led-base/s?k=acrylic+led+base

Thanks for taking a stab. The lights I’m looking for are in the video tutorial for this thread.

Hi WareWolf, we did exactly what brvdboss described. We bought longer LED strips and cut it into lengths that we wanted. The strips were cheap though and were about 4-5 USD. Maybe you can find some alternatives on alibaba.com or at a local shop.

1 Like

Ahh well i am not trying to watch that video but i do happen to know about some LED strips that are short and can be RBG and you can use a controller or just apply voltage to pins to get them to light up

LED Strip Lighting (brightideasled.net)

Thats the white only one, buy it but the foot. but it will cost more to do that then just to buy a roll to be honest lol

We ordered some for a project we did and they were good

I also was talking to someone in china who was trying to get me to buy premade assemblies which we discussed in detail they can be contacted here (cheap, quick, made to your spec) tell them you are trying to get a sample for production review :wink:

Very nice lady acutally named shirly

edit: looks like bright ideas stopped selling RBG tapelights? thats a shame, we had some 6" ones that were very nice.

I saw my old invoice and they were manufactured by nora lighting

12V & 24V LED Tape Light - Nora Lighting

6" and 12" available.

they have distributors you can check their web site to see where to get it from. if u want RGB i highly recommend either copinled from the slow boat or these noras.

How to 3D Print with ABS Filament [Snapmaker Academy]

Though ABS can be a little trickier to print with than PLA, it’s more flexible and heat resistant, while having enough strength, making it a really handy material. Here we have some basic rules and troubleshooting tips of ABS printing for you.

3 Likes