Skin settings on Snapmaker 2.0

Hello,

I don’t normally post on forums, but I just got my 2.0 and have so many questions. First involves skin settings. The top level of my print looks like it has a bumpy texture and is not smooth. Is there a way to get it smooth? Also, it looks like some lines are printed that shouldn’t be there. I don’t know any of the terminology yet, so please be gentle.

1 Like

There will always be a little bit of visible texture on the tops of your prints (unless you post-process the print by sanding or vapour-smoothing), but that does look oddly coarse. It could be underextrusion. Have you done an e-steps calibration?

Uh…no. Not sure what e-steps is. I initially printed with it standing upright, and I didn’t get that texture at the top.

Basically, e-steps determine the rate at which filament is pushed through the nozzle of the printer. The default value in the Snapmaker firmware is often not quite right for individual machines, causing them to overextrude (push out too much plastic) or underextrude (push out too little). One possible cause of texturing on the upper print surface is underextrusion leaving space between the lines of plastic being extruded.

The instructions for calibrating e-steps are here:

1 Like

Thank you for your help!

If you are willing to learn a bit about alternate slicers, Cura has a really useful feature called ironing. This smooths the top surface by passing the nozzle over it quickly whilst extruding a very small amount of plastic