Priority Firmware Requests

A few of us have found that the back right corner appears to sit high even after repeated attempts at leveling. This causes print issues – nozzle plowing – on the right side that is especially pronounced at the far right corner. In my case this causes extruder skipping when the left extruder moves towards the right side of the bed.

This may be a slight miscalculation of the leveling algorithm, that is only really noticeable if you print large items that span the width of the build plate.

In the meantime, is there a way to manually level the bed? I do note that Snapmaker includes a “calibration card” which would seem to indicate that we could use that to assist with manual leveling. However, there does not appear to be a way to move the bed all the way to the printing position in the menus. I understand that this wouldn’t want to be on the main “move” menu as folks could risk hitting the nozzles against the bed.

So a few firmware asks…

• Review the firmware’s leveling calculation for accuracy.
  • Expose a method to perform manual leveling if the automated leveling is not sufficient.
  • Review the X-Y nozzle calibration. If the nozzles have different outer diameters (Microswiss uses a 7mm socket, whereas the stock nozzle uses a 6mm socket – but both are MK8 nozzles), then the calibration between the left and right nozzles will be slightly off.
  • Expose E-Step calibration in the menu (extrude 10cm of filament, allow user entry of actual amount extruded, save that to memory and compensate in all subsequent prints)
1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve passed your message to our R&D team :blush:

A note on the X-Y nozzle calibration…

Default Nozzles: 6mm socket
Microswiss Wear Resistant Nozzles: 7mm socket
Bondtech CHT: 6mm socket
Bondtech CHT Hardened: 8mm socket

All four are MK8-style nozzles, but span 3 different outer diameters at the socket area.

It may be possible that someone would run a Bondtech Hardened (8mm) nozzle on one side for running a glass/fiber-reinforced filament, but a Bondtech or stock (6mm) nozzle on the other for support material. So, the X-Y calibration needs to find the center of the individual nozzle, not assume that the outer diameters are the same.

1 Like

Question - why does the outer diameter of the nozzle matter? If they’re checking the center by touch, in theory it shouldn’t matter what the diameter of the nozzle is, as long as it fits inside the calibration pocket.

They are touching four sides of the outside of the nozzle to find the center. I found when having one 7mm nozzle and one 6mm nozzle, they no longer correctly aligned. This could indicate they are assuming a 6mm nozzle and screwing up the dimensions, or it could be that they are assuming some measurements of where the left of each nozzle is (if they did that they would be slighhtly misaligned).

I haven’t checked to see if this has been resolved in the most recent firmware or not.

That seems like a very strange way to find a center. It’s pretty straightforward on all my other CNC machines - it doesn’t really care how big the tool is, it finds the edges and calculates the center based off that.