Overhangs curling - tried just about everything

On the A150, printing with Hatchbox PLA. No matter what I try, I get overhang curling.

Pictures:
Print stopped early to show issue: https://i.imgur.com/nUVXydf.jpg
Problem showing on finished print: https://i.imgur.com/ZbhCOYX.jpg
Angles trying to print at. Problems even at 40deg: https://i.imgur.com/Kox3Rxs.jpg

Printing using PrusaSlicer. Settings:

• Hotend: tried 190 to 205deg, no difference.
  • Bed: 70deg first layer, 50 for the rest.
  • Layer height: .24mm.
  • Speeds: slow; 10-60 mm/s, depending on feature type. Perimeters are 20 mm/s for outer and 25 for inner
  • Part cooling fan (two blowers with ducts directing the air at the part) 75-100%, no difference in problem.
  • Min layer time: tried up to 15s, helped a lot on tiny test print I made, didn’t on larger, more standard ones.
  • Extrusion width: .35 to .44 mm, small improvement when wider
  • Retraction: 5mm at 60mm/s

Thanks for any help you’re able to offer!

Im suddenly having problems with this as well when i changed to this pursament orange petg.

I’m in the middle of running a lot of tests.

I have ran about 15 calicats (most of them only about 30% done) and the cooling vs the extruder temperature is most of the impact.

I do know if you have a thinner layer height, it helps alot for this

Ive also decided no more zhop, which made a good impact all around once I was able to get my machine tuned enough.

Whenever i figure out this balance on this odd petg that doesnt seem to run like others, im going to assume it will work well for other petg as well. PLA should be easier to get so the knowledge should work backwards to that.

Right now im running my external fan mod at about 35% (which is where I had it before) and its gotten me the best results, but maybe this filament is just funky i dont know. currently i jacked the temp up another 5 degrees and the curling did get worse, but i think now i will leave it at the hotter temp and go back to fan adjustments for awhile.

When you say “cooling vs extruder temperature”, what specifically do you mean? Is there an optimum cooling amount for each hotend temperature?

that seems to be the case, thats what im trying to study right now.

on pla its less important, but cooling too fast will cause curling in any case.

ive gotten better luck with maybe 1/3 power cooling with lower end temperatures so far but when i start to find a ratio that comes out nice the part starts curling off the sheet. frustrating!

i usually ran PLA around 200 with full cooling and it typically stays pretty flat.

it could be that you are over extruding some and it is depositing in a way that looks like curling.

I really like to run this one test on teaching tech about slicer flow calibration, (this is after all the fancier tests). on PLA i run about 90% extrusion / flow rate and it comes out pretty well.

thinner layer high helps a lot for overhangs though

Can you link to this specific teaching tech calibration?

Teaching Tech 3D Printer Calibration (teachingtechyt.github.io)

This one here is what I am referring to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless I am trying to get a bridge without supports I turn the fan off for PETg. Also increase bed heat to 80c and raise the bed level by 0.05mm.
Your model doesn’t look like stringing will be a problem so I will leave that one, the best settings seem to change per role of filament anyway.

There is a good article here.

1 Like