Insufficient cooling? How to improve overhangs?

I am trying to print this model on my A350

The model can articulate and so must be printed without supports for the tentacles. I am printing with fillamentum extra fill PLA, I have tried printing at 185 and 190 degrees.

Every time I try the filament curls up at the edges of the layer resulting in ugly or failed prints where the nozzle crashes into the curled filament and knocks the small tentacle parts off the bed. I have reduced print temp, reduced print speed (20mm/s), increased perimeters (4), increased model size to 125% to get more surface area for adhesion. I even use 3DLAC spray to up adhesion and have never had issues with adhesion using this spray before this model.

To be clear, adhesion isnt the issue I am trying to fix, it is the poor overhang performance. How do I improve the printing of overhangs and reduce this curling of the filament at the edges? The small print cooling fan on the SM2.0 seems insufficient to me…

Hey @C.Harris, i think you have to print it faster with more temperature.
From your description it seems not to stick very well.
Try it with 40mm/s.- I don´t know filamentum but for pla minimum 190°C ,- 200°C seems ok.

Someone here with this material?

I will try that but all advice I have seen online has said to print with lower speeds to reduce warping.

Im also going to try printing with a raft. Fillamentum is great fillament and Ive never had adhesion issues before but these parts do have a very small base

Sure you are right, going slower minimizes bubbles. But if there is no picture to see, I can just speculate.

May this helps:

I appreciate that, I will try to get an image up this evening to show the problem.

I believe I have solved the issue. It turns out that when I updated the firmware on my A350, my calibrations for K value and E-steps was re-set to factory default.

This caused walls to not touch properly and I believe that as the walls were not in full contact, they were not supporting each other sufficiently to deal with printing the overhangs in this model. Once I re-calibrated my printer, I was able to nearly eliminate the warping even on the lowest quality setting (thicker layer height generally worse for printing overhangs).

This thread can be closed!

2 Likes