More 40w laser questions

1. Is there any way to update presets with a more complete list of different materials like balsa wood and painters canvas and pretty much anything else? Even if it’s not from Snapmaker.

2. What is the go-to test for the 40w laser when trying new materials? I remember something vaguely from years ago for the original laser that was a premade file of squares but at different levels. not sure if that exists for the 4ow laser or if there is something better. I’m looking for this so that when I try new materials I have a way to see what is engraving vs what is cutting.

1. good question i have asked myself already without getting an answer. Maybe with the wider usage of the Ray Laser, more profiles are created. But so far i didn’t find any.

2. I do my own tests, document the settings and use them for the next project. Tried some recommendations and never were successful, so i am doing my own research.

Ok, but how do you test? Just yolo ot with what your end product would look like and hope for the best or is it the same file everytime.
IIRC the test file ive seen was a bunch ouf little boxes. Each box has different power levels. So you laser this and end up with some squares burnt through and others with a lightetching or even nothing.
Then you find the results you like for etching and cutting snd write them down so you know the exact settings for that material.

I am doing some samples with some reference values i experienced in previous tests. Normally i do not need more than 3-4 parametric changes and i have found the best settings.

A little bit tricky was laser engraving on glass after i set up the 40W module. I had to reduce the power significantly.

Can you share your settings for various materials?

Yes, over time i can provide the information here.

First one is clear glass (transparent or brown).
Best results are with 25% (20W Mode) at 900 mm/min speed.
Make sure to prepare the glass with some sort of paint. Otherwise the laser goes through and nothing happens to the material.

Thanks. Were you able to nail down 40w settings?

No, as the 20W mode does exist :wink:

Why should i insist using full power if not needed.
But if you want to give it a try, simply try it with 12.5% on 40W mode

Ok.
I couldn’t find a 20w mode in luban.
Can you explain where it is?

You need to enable the half diode mode:

Implemented since V4.9.0:

• Introduced half diode mode (for 40W laser module only).