Matterhackers - great company

Hello,

Everyone seems to say matterhackers has the best filament

I splurged on a bunch of build series PLA and i also ordered a spool of pro series nylon (for future use, but wanted to use it to cold pull my nozzle per recommendations)

While it printed quite nicely, my magenta (build pla) to my surprise measured 1.67mm, which is the smallest filament i have seen to far! way out of tolerance.

Additionally, i went to try the cold pull and looked at my pro nylon.

The bag was heat sealed, but had plenty of air inside… there was a desiccant packet inside. i couldnt help but notice that they don’t even put temperature settings on the pro series spools and im really disappointed to say it was popping and crackling with moisture!

it was so brittle it snapped off with a (not particularly hard) tug!

Whats up with that!

putting it in my dehydrator to give it another go later…

I don’t think anyone says it’s the best filament.
Supposed to be good for price.
But it should be better than that.
I would contact them about the nylon. I’ve never tried it but that’s supposed to be the most susceptible to moisture by far. (Depending on where you live you may need to keep it in a dry box to print from) It’s very possible that there was a leak in the bag and it was exposed. Most of the filament I’ve gotten that’s been heat sealed has also been vacuum packed. Does it seem like it was at one point?

-S

For the record, no, i dont believe it was vacuum sealed ever.

So whos the best in your opinion?

Actually I was thinking of Hatchbox, not MH.
I have heard good things about their’s so surprised to hear that much problem.
But anyone can have a bad batch or roll.
They both have their own brand (not sure who makes it) and sell a lot of other brands too.
I’d definitely contact them.

I’ve used both Prusament and Filamentone and been very happy with the results. They list some of the smallest tolerances. Prusa you can actually check the specs of your individual roll online.
Colorfabb is supposed to be great and has some really interesting specialty filaments. Their LW-PLA is pretty cool (especially if you’re an rc flyer)

-S

1 Like

I changed the title of this post

I wanted to update,

matterhackers hooked me up with a new spool of magenta, helped me exchange 2 spools i got the wrong size in (their search filter system was really poor and the listings were kind of unreliable, which they just replaced with a brand new system that is way better and they are still tweaking it), gave me an additional spool of brown, and personally called me just now to follow up

After i got thru the initial bumps in the road there, their filament prints like a real dream and the service is fantastic!

I think ill buy almost everything from them at this point, they earned it!

1 Like