Making PCB using SM CNC: Work Origin and changing tool bits

I am working on making a single sided PCB using the CNC mode. While I haven’t achieved success quite yet, my process is as follows:

• Design with KiCad 7.0
  • Use FlatCam to convert Gerber and Drill files to .cnc files that SM will recognize.
  • Install the V bit to make isolation paths using one of the FlatCam output files
  • Install a drill to drill the board’s holes using the drill file output from FlatCam
  • Install a flat end mill to cut out the board’s outline using the FlatCam file

For each of the processes on the SM, you need to define the Work Origin. That’s fine for the V bit since it gets done first.

But when you switch to the drill bit, you need to establish a new Work Origin again. The X & Y values of the Work Origin should be the same but the Z value will be different because the V bit and drill bit will most likely be a different length.

On my first attempt, I finished the operation using the V bit, installed the drill bit and pressed the “Go to Work Origin” and broke the drill bit because the Z value was not correct.

The same thing holds true when switching from the drill bit to the flat end mill for doing the board outline.

When the first operation is done the tool head doesn’t go to a set place (like when it “homes” after an initial power up). So sometimes you can’t get the X & Y values to be exactly the same as the first operation since the smallest adjustment to the tool head is 0.1 mm while the position values shown are down to 0.01mm.

So here is my question. Is there a way to tell the tool head to go to a specific X & Y location after each operation? Or tell the tool head to go to the “home” position since that will go to a defined X, Y & Z location?

Just curious to know if someone has solved this particular annoyance.

Rick

1 Like

You can use G28 command to home the machine.
Also there is this guide, maybe it could help you - GitHub - tommy-vaux/Snapmaker_2_PCB_Milling_Process: A Basic Process for PCB milling on the Snapmaker 2.0