Length measurement using Rotary

Luban wants to know the length of the part, but I have not yet seen any description of where I’m supposed to be measuring from.

I’m working with 10mm diameter stock, which could be inserted into the chuck a little bit (1/4 inch?) or a lot (all the way to the back stop). I assume the other end of the measurement is where it contacts the tailstock, but since that actually inserts into my tubing stock, maybe I should measure to the tip of the tailstock?

I watched the video, but while they were talking about making this measurement, they never showed exactly where the measurement is to be taken.!

There are at least three ways I can chuck this

IMG_20210920_182742_HDR|375x500

You’re supposed to leave an offset distance away from the chuck and tailstock, or you’ll possibly slice off the tip of the tailstock or damage the chuck, I don’t remember what the offset is supposed to be though.

I am hoping that someone from SM answers here, and maybe updates the docs to show this.

The chuck is an external claw.
Normally, such a stick-shaped object should have an inner claw.
Chucking

I don’t see how that could work the ID is 7mm

images (1)
images (2)

2 Likes

This doesn’t address my question at all.

Yes.
I did not answer your question at all.

I was just being nosy because I thought the direction of the scroll chuck claw was dangerous before that.

Will the equipment break or will the blade hit and injure you?

It doesn’t matter to me.

So genuine question - can the rotary jaws be reversed to be the correct orientation, they are installed backwards.

If not that is the single funniest design error I think I’ve ever seen.

It’s pretty clear the “outside” jaw is actually the inside jaw for this exact reason. That would give additional stickout required for the tool to avoid contacting the jaw.

That’s how they came from the factory. Has little/no bearing on my question.

Measure from wherever you want since you’ll set the work origin as part of starting the job. Just make sure you do the necessary math such that you’re not going to command the toolhead to ram into the jaws.

All of the ways your original post show chucking it are equivalent and will work.

Choose a work origin where you like (picture from the manual), measure the length from that:

Also, as recommended in the quick start guide, run boundary in advance to verify you have everything set up correctly with clearance to the jaws:

The jaws on most all 3-jaw scroll chucks can be installed in either orientation; both orientations are “correct”. What you use depends on what you’re holding, how much force you can or want to apply, how much or how little jaw contact you want, whether you can use tensile or compressive forces, etc.