Laser Tool head Carshing into work board at end of auto focus

I have been trying to get the first run auto focus to work the laser cut a dot not a line on a diagonal across the work boundary with no change other than size of dot alternating big and four small dots. once the cutting is complete the tool moves to the back of the board and crashes into the work surface hard. Which traps the board making it hard to remove the board to examine which cut is better. Any help or advice is welcome
IMG_2187|375x500

Hi @Skulldragon33

Looking forward to your reply.
Best regards

what was the resolution to this? I am having the same issue and am unable to use my snapmaker.

Hello, I guess you may connect the Y conversion cable into the Z port, and the Z conversion cable into the Y port. Can you please double-check whether you install the machine correctly? Thanks

Hello Tracy,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will check to see if we have the X and Y cables switched.
I appreciate your help!

Lisa Moore
Loggerhead Creative Media
www.loggerheadcreativemedia.com

Hello again, I checked the connections and they look they they are correct according to the manual. I’m attaching photos to show you. Please let me know if this is not the correct order.
Thanks!

Lisa Moore

Thanks for your reply.
Can you go to Control and let XYZ move? If you click on Z up and down, will the verticle linear module move?

In additon, please double check the two Y and two Z cables are connected to the correct converters.

Thank you Tracy! We will check these and get back to you.
Thanks again!

Lisa Moore

@Loggerhead Hello Lisa, is there any good news? :smiley:

Hello Tracy,
We have great news about fixing the issue with the wires. We did have them in the incorrect position and have successfully calibrated the machine!! Thank you so much for your help with that.

We are now having an issue with putting an image on the piece of wood. I am sure we are doing something wrong and are trying to figure it out. We have a part of our logo outlined in illustrator and we made a g-code for it and when we try to send it to perform the laser engraving it is not zeroing in on the piece of wood and goes all the way to the top right corner. We will keep trying to figure out how to get this corrected.

Thanks!

Lisa Moore

This happens to me occassionally. I reported this to the devs months and months ago, I guess still hasn’t been fixed.

These steps are a workaround I use to make it work:

Load file (“Start” button)
Choose manual focus
Set Origin (wherever, location doesn’t matter)
Cancel job and return to main screen.
Start same job again
Choose auto focus.

From here on it should correctly zero in. Something about setting the origin in manual focus mode resets something internally, and doing auto focus after should correctly recalculate the center of the work space.

Hi Brent,
Thank you so much for this information. I will give this a try and see what happens.
I greatly appreciate your time!

Lisa Moore

@Loggerhead That is great that you figured out the issue.
As for the issue that you have now, can you make a video and show it to me first? Thanks

Hi Brent,
Thank you so much for your help! We were able to etch something on our piece of wood. So excited to learn this whole process.
Thanks again!

Lisa Moore

1 Like

Hi Tracy,
Brent had made a suggestion and I tried it last night and we were successful in getting it to laser etch! We are so excited to learn more and use our snapmaker. I greatly appreciate all of your help!

Lisa Moore

@Loggerhead Hello Lisa, that is great. Thanks for letting me know. Have a great day. :slight_smile:

@Tracy Can you confirm the developers of the touchscreen are aware of and working on a fix for this widespread repeatable issue where the laser height and offset is critically miscalculated requiring an elaborate workaround? This has been present for for a long time.

Here is the GitHub issue from last December

Hello @brent113 Thanks for sharing the GitHub link. I think there must be some issues with the internal communication because my colleague who is responsible for APP development did not receive the feedback.
I am very sorry about that.

I just shared the feedback with the app developer face to face and he will have a look at it.
Have a nice day.

2 Likes