Laser Reference Chart?

Dear Readers,

I have just received my snapmaker 2.0 and started out with the laser module.
I would like to make a file to see how the different settings affect the laser : a ReferenceChart… for cutting & engraving, but can not find out if Luban could interpret such a thing. and if it would have to be in grey scale or if it can be in color?

I work with illustrator.
When I import a 2 layer file (SVG) it imports it into Luban as 1 shape and i can only set 1 set of parameters/settings.
If i save each layer as a separate file i can import 2 shapes and set: speed & power… Is this what has to be done ? for every layer or tone of burning ?
They are also recognised as vectors and i can not change the “preview settings” (B&W / Grey / Vector).
Is it an obligation to pass through Luban or can we send files to the snapmaker from another program ?

I would be happy to understand more about this how this works as i would like to set up a file base to test on different materials…

Thank you for reading

1 Like

Vector is always for cutting or straight engraving.
B/W is a similar filter like vector files but will engraved on a other toolpath.

Greyscale is important for your testprint, I guess.

You have to import your testfile multiple times, near to each other, to adjust your settings from picture to picture.

I think you could also use a other software for generating the gcode but you need to test this :wink:

I created a very simple laser test in Snapmaker Luban for my A350.
It cuts lines from 10% to 100% power @140mm/min, 2 passes, 0.6mm pass depth (vector)
Grayscale squares from 5% to 100% black using both the stock greyscale (normal quality 7 dot/mm, 500mm/min) and b&w (4 dot/mm, 800mm/m) settings.

Test shown was done on 1.6mm baltic birch. As you can see it cut through cleanly on several of the cutting tests.

1 Like

Thank you xchrisd !
i will launch a test print today using Luban and will post the result.

Thank you sdj544 ! Looks good and simple !!!

Here is the result of my first try.
I am quite happy with it especially as i have no idea about quality engraving… :slight_smile: I am happy about any opinion !
The PNG of the cubes has a white background, does it makes a big difference to a transparent one, or saving to JPG? Tiff doesn’t import.

Thanks for reading

3 Likes

Phil,

Newbie here, how did you do this Greyscale? Thanks

Hi Warrant,

This was in Luban quite some time ago and not so fun to set up.
All the settings are engraved. What exactly is your question?
Now I use lightburn so i don’t know if i will be able to help. as Luban has updated quite a few times since…

I am trying to find a file that shows the different laser “gauges” per say or the laser focal points for each level you go up. The different intensities for the laser. Still learning this engraving deal however I have some basics. Thanks

I am a beginner too… would advise looking into lightburn…
found this site recently might help : Lightburn PowerScale Generators - O2 Creative

1 Like

Hello Phil,
Where is the file that you used for the above picture?

TIA,
Brian

Hi Brian,

i trashed all my luban files as i am using lightburn.
Basically all you need to do is make the boxes with different settings and write down what your settings are. then run the job.

hope it helps,
phil

Do you use lightburn ?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1620475517/

I found these files that were designed to work on Luban. Just open the project and print, they work great on my Artisan 10W laser.