Laser module edge burn

Hi,
I use the Sm 2.0 with the 16mW laser module.
I was engraving some wood veneer when I found out that the machine has to stop every time when powering off the laser. This happens when I use the laser in line mode for engraving. This leads to a more burned edge than the rest of the engraved line. With thin wooden veneer it burns through the wood and makes it very brittle, although the rest of the piece is only lightly scorched.
Is there a way to avoid these stops ? That the laser head moves continuously ?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers
Lennard

I have a PR in GitHub to fix that behavior, go show support on that please. It allows the laser power to be changed without stopping, and if it does stop it scales the power down as it slows down to avoid edge burning.

1 Like

Thatā€™s just amazing. But I donā€™t quite understand how I integrate your changes.
Is this change for Lightburn or for Luban ? Iā€™m new to cutting and engraving with a laser and even newer for adaptations of published software and modding.
can you perhaps help me a bit ?
Thx
Lennard

Unfortunately thereā€™s multiple systems working together here. This change is for the main controller firmware (the thing all the wires run into)

To use this you can use Lightburn and Luban, but the process for each is different. Rather than explaining both in detail maybe share what you want to use?

Lightburn can generate gcode that uses that change natively. Luban would require doing some find and replace in a text editor.

So Iā€™ve never used Lightburn before. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking, and I would be so thankful if you can walk me through :slight_smile: Also I like the camera option in the Luban software for positioning.

This is to get it connected to the Snapmaker without the firmware modification I made. Itā€™s a bit of a learning curve as itā€™s different than Luban.

Maybe I should have expressed myself more clearly:
Iā€™d like to use the Luban software because Iā€™m already familiar with it and love the camera option. So I want the modification done for Luban. Thatā€™s entirely my fault, my apology. Sorry for the inconvenience but later maybe also helpful :slight_smile:

Oh, yea. In that case with the Luban output files youā€™ll have to post process them in something like Notepad++.

It would probably be most simple to show you on a file you are already familiar with. Can you zip into a .zip file and then upload a .nc gcode file?

Manhattan_template.zip (287.3 KB)
like this ? It should be a Manhattan map in B&W

Hey Brent,
We talked about this issue a year ago. Inline-power modulation in the newer marlin versions.

Im not sure where SMā€™s firmware is at as far as your PR.

Reading the comments is sounds like it has been implemented and will work with a lightburn file utilizing a GrayScale method? Just not from Luban?

Or are we still waiting for a Firmware update?

Thanks again for all your contributions.

They have not yet merged it, but I have a build based on the latest released firmware.

Still only works with Lightburn for the speedup, Luban doesnā€™t take advantage.

1 Like