Is M600 (Filament Change) Available on the Snapmaker

Have you tried it yourself already, as i have tried this already as well! Without success. So i want to have a gcode which anyone else has tried and it worked so i know the problem is not on the gcode file but on the printer itself!!

What firmware version are you on? How are you running the job, what does your gcode look like?

You are really good at not providing any information in your posts

1 Like

this is my gcode…
S2A_Multicolourtest.gcode (19.6 KB)

That file looks fine. If that’s not working contact support I think. It’s possible they’ve broken something with the latest firmware version. That used to work at least.

OK I did. Lets see when they will answer

1 Like

In the meantime does filament runout detection work for you? M600 is intimately related to filament runout.

I did not try. I received my machine last week…

How can you see or try if working or not?

Start a print and then remove filament. Machine should pause.

Cut it behind the head or just pull it out during print job???

Either works, trigger the switch

1 Like

Dear colleagues,
As i’ve seen this M600 code feature is available now for SnapMaker 2.0,
but i have Snapmaker Original. Does anyone have any solution for Snapmaker Original to use M600 code to change filament or any other way to make a change on the filament ?

Thanks dudes,
Roger

1 Like

For $15 you can get a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W, (3B chipset), but you’ll need a usb-micro OTG cable to attach the snapmaker. Ideally get a OTG cable that is a USB hub with ethernet and two usb ports, one for machine and one for webcam like Three Port USB Hub with Ethernet (micro B) - Pimoroni but it works fine with just the snapmaker connected with a single ended OTG cable and the Pi controlled over wifi.

You install Octoprint, and then setup the normal start/stop and pause and resume gcode commands. Then octoprint will respond to @pause command in the gcode file. Once paused you can extrude or retract filament for loading etc. There are plugins to do more like offer filament management, timelapses, etc. I have a touchscreen on one of mine for £20-30, it’s not required if you have a phone/laptop handy instead.

Sadly… no. For awhile now (I guess due to the chip shortage) all of them have either been out of stock (for those that don’t price gouge) or stupid expensive. The Pi Zero 2W is currently $123 on Amazon. It’d be a better option to get a cheap netbook or cheap android tablet to run octoprint on. They’re cheaper than a Pi Zero currently.

Thomas Sanladerer has a nice video on running Octoprint on an old phone (should work on anything running android).

The old phone / old laptop / old something is a far better suggestion. Save some E-Waste from reaching landfill for another decade.
On the Pi / Chip availability issue, there are kits which include a very reasonable official pricing structure ($60 for a full pi4):

Or the rpilocator.com and twitter account ( https://twitter.com/rpilocator ) have served me well over the last year.

Since the touchscreen is Android, why can’t SM or someone equally/better skilled just port Octoprint to the touchscreen and make life better for everyone?

The touchscreen is closed source and not on the github currently. Snapmaker will always push its own product (the UI built in), and since it’s closed source, nobody else can do anything on the touch screen. Theoretically, there’s no ‘porting’ involved, just the ability to install the APK and run it like a standard app.

However, this also assumes the USB-C can drive the controller directly. From what I’ve seen, even when launching from the touchscreen it transfers the file to the controller before it starts. Whereas octoprint streams the gcode line by line over a USB serial connection.