How to command the bed to go to Z=0?

Alright - the automatic bed leveling isn’t working for me - I suspect the plate that I have might be thicker than spec… I will be measuring it later.

For now, I’m over it, and just want to print with this printer. So I want to level the bed manually, but to do that, I need to get the Z to what it thinks is the zero point, and then I’ll use the knobs on the bed and manually level the thing myself.

Is there some GCode I can enter in the terminal in OctoPrint or whatever that I can use to get the bed to where it thinks the zero point is?

Sure there is: Gcode | Marlin Firmware

G1 Z0 would be what you are looking for, maybe with an added low F parameter (maybe F100) to go slowly.

If you add a G28 before that, the printer does a homing first.

Thus, a gcode file to do this should contain this text:

G28
G1 Z0 F100

The glass plate should be 5.0mm thick by the way.

1 Like

There is also a Z-adjust setting to dial in the offset for your first layer for any variation in plate thickness. It’s under “adjust” when you start a print.

You are a scholar, and a gentleman. Thank you!

And @ChrisUFO I might not be using that correctly… I gave it a go, and it didn’t seem to change anything, perhaps I need to give it a bigger adjustment.

I did have some success with the auto-leveling after I tightened up all the linear rails and ran it again. I’ve been getting beautiful prints out of it since then, although sometimes the first layer is a little sketchy occasionally, but that might be the settings I’m using since other prints are coming out beautifully.